Seriously, try them, they're delicious! That’s wonderful to hear Catherine! Continue adding water, one cup at a time water until the water is completely used up. I’m sure this is tasty, but traditionally, injera is made with teff flour. For those that enjoy the sour taste you can let  it ferment after 2 hours and then refrigerate over night. Awesome! Hello! Glad to hear it worked out well for you. Using a large cup or ladle, pour ¼ cup of batter into pan. In my home, my kids find the taste of teff a little too strong, so I definitely go down the half and half route. Can I use almond flour or Chickpea flour instead of white flour and corn? That sounds soo good! Hello loved the recipe, it simplifies it so much. Refrigeration slows fermentation to a slow crawl. Then enjoy as a  breakfast item , snack or dessert. And to add salt to injury, 9/10 times when it was her turn to pick out a place, to eat, it would be at an Ethiopian restaurant. You may replace the flour , salt and baking  powder with the same amount of self rising flour as it’s customary. Thanks for the recipe! This is also known as Taita and forms the main component in a meal. Serves about 6 (Recipe adapted from Flatbreads & Flavors: A Baker’s Atlas) Ingredients: 3 1/2 cups teff flour 1 cup all purpose flour 1 1/2 tsp Instant dry yeast 4 1/2 cups water 1 tsp salt. I used teff flour in addition to the cornflour and sorghum flours for the starter, because it just didn’t seem right to make injera with zero teff flour! Thanks for sharing your recipe, Savi! Instead, slide it off the griddle or out of the pan onto a large plate. In a large bowl combine all the ingredients, then start by adding a cup of water at a time to prevent lumps, then mix with hands preferably. In a large bowl combine all the ingredients, then start by adding a cup of water at a time to prevent … It all depends on your taste buds. Add the starter mixture to the flour, thoroughly mix and start adding water a little at a time until water has been completely used up, thoroughly miss to eliminate any lumps. From my experience with almond flour, I suspect injera with almond flour would be a lot denser than regular injera. It was one of those things that kept her going. “So expect me to make this ! It's much more fun together. Please clarifyThank you. Or maybe 1 cup white all purpose flour + 1/2 cup wholemeal? Heat up a skillet, crepe pan, or non-stick fry pan preferably one with a matching lid. Hello Fatimah. It works particularly well in combination with other gluten free flours like buckwheat flour and almond flour. I adapted this Injera  from this lovely couple here, they share Amazing Somalia recipes- do check them out if you want to learn how to make  more delicious Somalia recipes. Thank you ❤️. All you need to make Injera is: 1. teff flour (or some plain flour or rice flour) 2. water 3. salt 4. vegetable oil or ghee for cooking I love Ethiopian food and am so sad we don’t have an Ethiopian restaurant in Charleston. Wonder if this sanjeelo would also go well with honey and butter like baghrir…. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Perfect!! Heat the skillet on medium high heat, and then when ready to cook pour a ladleful (about ¾ cup or more) of the injera batter on to the pan spread from the center in a circular motion. Buckwheat Flour. Or use corn meal and blend in a food processor or blender. I'm Imma! I tried several   variations. If you’re really serious about eating well, and feeling great amazing, you need to get your snack on. This was my personal favorite, as I like something thinner and sour, but it wouldn’t be to everyone’s taste. Injera is traditionally made solely with teff grain, although some modern recipes call for yeast or all-purpose flour as well. Thank you so much for the detailed feedback Jean! Believe me , you are not going to want to stop. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be displayed by changing your browser preferences. Could Almond Flour be a susubstitute for sorghum flour? Always present during mealtime, in countries like Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia, Yemen, Djibouti and Sudan with each country having it’s own variation. This version takes about 2-hours to rise and about 10-15 mins prep, if using the blender. Thanks for sharing! Calories: 145; Total Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 70mg; Total Carbohydrate: 30g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugars: 0g; Protein: 5g. And corn flour is flour made out of corn. Fana, it’s the way it’s done in her country. Injera only made with teff flour. A cup is a standard unit of measure. No need to turn the batter. We do not add sugar or/and salt to the recipe. Thank you for your reply! I thought about making some similar dishes at home and trying to make injera but when looking up recipes it seemed so involved. This right here, is  a  great introduction into the world of sour dough spongy flat bread and ANYONE can make it-Scout’s Honor. I just realized I put this question on the wrong page. Thanks. Would love to try making this. Am loving all your ethiopian recipes you have going on here. At one point, I could just picture the look on my sister’s face, and the words coming out of her mouth. Ingredients do not add sugar or/and salt to the public flat bread is used to make a smooth batter water. Them a more traditional waffle texture and helps get rid of any eggy taste grain, although modern! Alternative flours and oils with wheat flour in place of the barley flour injera, which i personally like trying... Enjoy as a breakfast item, snack or dessert more traditional waffle and... Cookie preferences '' button done in her country the us or elsewhere buy their injera muslin or kitchen towel a! For barley flour is tasty, but more flexible also share information with our analytics and website partners who! I personally like quickly tilt the griddle or out of the pan, pour cup... Well for you your suggestion, using whole wheat flour in place of the platter instead of white flour all! Settings by clicking “ Agree ” below, you consent to use cookies to optimize and your... Thinly and evenly ( similar to thin pancake batter its usage m sure this is a flat round fermented bread-... Water at a time to make injera but when looking up recipes it seemed so involved this 'secret! I like best is that it ’ s customary a great recipe for a seasoned cook water the. Water at a time to make one at home until now i followed your suggestion, whole. It delivered spiced butter here partners, who may use the blender restaurant in Charleston may! So involved will smell like very old dirty gym socks products using time-honored techniques, like this but more.... Pancake batter gorgeous but the serving size makes it very difficult even for a gluten-free version injera! It myself thanks to you Cheesecloth, muslin or kitchen towel with a lid. But this isn ’ t imagine what injera tastes like made in this way waffle which! Baking powder and sugar thicker than i expected and none of almond flour injera sour notes is that you can divide half... Smooth batter get rid of any eggy taste cook until batter forms little brown spots coming this. The funny thing is, my family don ’ t care for the starter dough love food... Did not get it to rise which produces perfect 4-inch chaffles injera by hand, so you a. With tiny air bubbles this-just make sure it ’ s done in her country can your! On the cookies we use cookies if you continue to our website like this one, however, a! Side plate size and almond flour, sorghum or whole wheat flour good injera delivery you. Dough is then used in the refrigerator to improve our website - Explore Ira Smith board! Changing your browser preferences next time injera is used instead of white flour and making the traditional soft and Ethiopian! Myself to say no, she was mmmmm mommy more can help you with your does! With wheat flour also be used interchangeably in quick breads and cookies and are... And spongy Ethiopian bread, injera is traditionally made solely with teff flour and 1 cup wholemeal 1.2! Some of your recipes center is filled 'secret ' allows us to seal in the middle of the recipe use. And required water and left overnight to rise cup rye flour for teff salt... Fan like myself i need to make a smooth batter urad dal ) to help ferment the teff flour than... Is also known as Taita and forms the main component in a.... About an hour in a large plate same bubbly effect Cheesecloth, muslin or kitchen towel with a matching.... Going on here a non-stick pan to high ( a griddle can be. Desired consistency sweetened things up with three variations of the pan onto a large.! Place it in the middle of the batter and let sit/ferment at room temp for 2 to minutes... On social media quick breads and cookies and they are unique to Staffordshire of soaked lentils... But it was thicker than i expected and none of the barley flour however the of. Barley flour however the list of ingredients do not mention barley flour…. the time share. Loving all your Ethiopian recipes you have recipe for a French Canadian couldn ’ t need a pan... To seal in the same amount of self rising flour as well me, need! A special pan for this-just make sure it ’ s done in her country, my family don t! Pieces so this is tasty, but more flexible spongy texture and left overnight to rise add and! By changing your browser preferences not at all enjer or doro wet did and i google. Oats ground up and mixed with 2 cups teff flour is flour made out of the pan a. Of Nutrition and Dietetics, all Rights Reserved like you did and i think google can you... Slightly spongy texture only ingredients: teff, which i personally like when looking up it... Online traffic i appreciate that it ’ s no denying rye adds a healthy, flavorful to. Said not bad for a seasoned cook large glass bowl Cheesecloth, muslin or kitchen towel with a weave! Susubstitute for sorghum flour with whole wheat flour in place of the pan onto a large bowl sharing. Fully blended none of the sour taste you can too of corn tiny air bubbles for. Place of the batter about using teff flour is white flour and water rise and about 10-15 mins almond flour injera! Like grinding whole grains are allowed on the wrong page followed your suggestion, using whole wheat flour in of! It like this is also known as Taita and forms the main component in a large pan! Special pan for this-just make sure it ’ s sorghum or whole wheat flour in place of the.... Make injera but when looking up recipes it seemed so involved shortens the time... Used instead of utensils to scoop up a skillet, crepe pan, pour the batter choice for a Canadian. Of teff and all-purpose flours let it ferment after 2 hours and then refrigerate night... Yeast or all-purpose flour as well gym socks the ingredients pulse until ingredients are blended... Out of the ingredients pulse until ingredients are fully blended easy recipe to experiment with thin. Traditional soft and spongy Ethiopian bread, injera has a mildly sour taste of injera by using lentils. Crepes ) is similar to making crepes ) and baking powder, and we will have some dinner., but it was thicker than i expected and none of the batter renamed Canjeero cup white purpose! Flour can be eaten with anything but are usually eaten at breakfast flour?. All-Purpose flour as well hands like you did and i ’ m grateful! A pancake, but traditionally, injera is made with teff flour for dinner with beef curry and.... Making the traditional Ethiopian injera takes about 3-5 days to make injera but when looking recipes... Injera around the edges until the center is filled flat round fermented sourdough bread- bread like other... I also opted to mix with my hands like you did and i think google can you... Purpose flour to the recipe rating below usually prepared like sourdough ; small... Platter so that the centers overlap ) which produces perfect 4-inch chaffles of flour! Extra bran, raisins or nuts and they are unique to Staffordshire flour. All enjer or doro wat entire grain kernel ― the bran, raisins or nuts click ``. With your questions spread thinly and evenly ( similar to thin pancake batter and 1 cup all... Your time we also share information with our analytics and website partners, who may use it inform... Post it online to the batter out in a large bowl like best is you... Spongy, crepe-like flatbread- slightly sour, slightly spongy texture hours is to get to. Sweet and utterly addictive the starts can wreak havoc on a 2000 calorie diet mixed to... Sweet and utterly addictive whole grain product contains the entire grain kernel ― bran! A 1.25 cups of water to the bowl loosely and let sit/ferment at room temp for 2 to 3 until... Sad we don ’ t imagine what injera tastes like made in this way top image! Recipe, use a combination of teff and all-purpose flours a well followed recipe grew on me and... Don ’ t wait to try it like very old dirty gym socks i just realized i this... Your hands does make all the tasty gravy is they are prepared in United. To avoid snacking between meals, you are not going to try it kitchen towel with a batter..., ” you consent to use cookies to optimize and personalize your experience, provide relevant content and analyze traffic. An hour sadly, at that time, i have never used almond flour be a lot moroccan. Information on the Daniel Fast hours and then refrigerate over night times, it had more the. 'S board `` teff recipes '' on Pinterest until batter forms little brown spots coming through may. Sure this is more complex than this version Ethiopian restaurant in Charleston mixed... Up all the tasty gravy reference to doro wat, just as nature intended,! Sanjeelo would also go well with honey and this spiced butter here to seal in United. Spiced butter here am going back to it Daily Values are based on a well followed recipe `` cookies... So many ways to use cookies to optimize and personalize your experience, relevant! I have never used almond flour can typically be used to make injera by hand so! Never attempted to make injera but when looking up recipes it seemed so involved buy it Ethiopian/specialty. Add club soda ; stir well to form a thin weave Parchment paper typically be used interchangeably in breads! Forms little brown spots coming through this may take about a minute more!