This sort of mass congregation of Rock Apes was apparently not an isolated incident. There are plenty of accommodation options, from mid-range lodges to top luxury. In that country, up to 2.5 million dogs are slaughtered and eaten every year. He would say of the finding: I had been looking at footprints from the air for quite a while and I noticed the exceptional size (of these) immediately. So what are we dealing with here? In Vietnam, national parks are ... Albino animals: squirrels, gorillas, hedgehogs and more Alligator. Neither were the people killed in Korea or Vietnam, if you think there can't be a war without a formal declaration. That is what we had heard near the wire that night. Further lessening their worth as a possible culprit is that snub-nosed monkeys are diurnal, active in the day, whereas the Người rừng is always reported as a decidedly nocturnal animal, and additionally the snub-nosed monkeys are arboreal whereas the Rock Apes are mostly reported as foraging about the ground. It moved so fast and so gracefully that I was not as sure that this was an enemy soldier as I had once been. I couldn’t make out any real details, but I could sort of make out that it did not seem to be of normal proportions. It had long arms. In another rather spectacular report published in the New York Times letters on April 18, 2010, a man named Graeme Webster tells of a curious event that occurred at a strategic artillery summit on the western end of the DMZ called “The Rockpile.” One evening sometime in 1967, Marines from the Fourth Marine Regiment were assaulted by a large number of Rock Apes, which were said to inhabit the caves of the area. They are the largest living primates. Albino animals: squirrels, gorillas, hedgehogs and more Alligator. In 1982, more footprints were examined when Professor Tran Hong Viet, of Pedagogic University of Hanoi, found them while collecting specimens near Chu Mo Ray in Sa Thầy District. Kelley would remark on the surreal scene: This may sound very strange to you, but although I had no or little concern about killing the enemy, the killing of innocent animals turned my stomach and could enrage me if done without being a necessity. The American patrol regrouped and headed to a more secure area, and that night they were assailed by a barrage of strange, animalistic noises from the night, sounding like whines, barks, howls, and grunts. The Volcanoes National Park is only two hours' drive on tarmac road from Kigali and the international airport. With all of these spectacular reports circulating around the Vietnam War, we are left to wonder just what the Rock apes, Người rừng, Batututs, or whatever one wants to call them, were. First is the size, with the snub-nosed monkeys not being anywhere near the 5 to 6 foot and up stature reported in the accounts of the Rock Apes. Life on the Planet Venus? After a few moments of staring at the soldiers, the creature was said to then let out a sound like the bark of a dog. In that country, up to 2.5 million dogs are slaughtered and eaten every year. These are the words with which I began my own original article on the phenomenon at large, but there have always been additional stories that have come to light and crept up out of the woodwork over the years as more people who might have been keeping it to themselves have come forward to tell of their own odd encounters with the mysterious Rock Apes, and one of these came to me personally after reading my original article to give me yet another intriguing report to add to the long list. It stank something fierce as it dashed right on past us making that godawful noise, it sounded sort of like a mix between a monkey’s whoop and the bark of a dog, and then it was gone and we all just looked at each other like ‘Did you just fucking see that?’ Never saw anything like that before or since. In another shocking account, another platoon was also overrun by large numbers of the creatures. Several features seem to point to this species as being perhaps the culprits. Even more impressive than footprints of the Người rừng are actual bodies that have been claimed to have been found on occasion. If so, are they still out there and what are they? It is so critically endangered, in fact, that is was long thought to be extinct until its rediscovery in 1989, although even now there are thought to be fewer that 250 of the animals left. About 5 feet tall, hunched over, covered with grayish scraggly hair and with a squashed in, gorilla-like face. We are left to ponder what could be behind this mystery, and wonder just what these men were seeing out there. The mountain gorilla, scientifically known as gorilla beringei beringei , is among the inhabitants of the Bwindi National Park in … The park contains some of the most epic landscapes in the world — misty volcanic slopes, dense forest, and of course, gorillas and golden monkeys. Everything You Need to Know About Gorilla Trekking in Africa: Conservation, Packing & Best Countries Different Types of Gorillas. There are no gorillas in Kibale, but the chimpanzee colonies here have been habituated over a period of two years, so they are used to humans passing through. There are more than 30 million animals in the world. Uganda. The other soldier he had been with concurred with this, and explained that he had gotten the sense that it was sort of like an orangutan, which the others guffawed at. Guided tours will give you an opportunity to see L' Hoest’s, red colobus, red-tailed monkeys, brown monkeys and grey-cheeked mangabey. We could all see it very clearly this time. The eyes sunk back an inch and a half from the brow line. Explore one of Africa’s best wildlife experiences on Troop to the Gorillas, safariing through Uganda. Mountain gorillas are an important and endangered species, but there are many other key animals – and plants – in the forests where they live, creating an interdependent ecosystem. There were four mechanized mines operating in the area we visited, but due to time constraints we were not able to visit all of the mines in the district. Get the MegaPack collection now for this great price. When the Captain sent men to go investigate, the war-torn area was found to be littered with injured men, as well as allegedly the bloodied bodies of several of the mysterious Rock Apes. Mountain gorillas are an important and endangered species, but there are many other key animals – and plants – in the forests where they live, creating an interdependent ecosystem. Even before the fighting started in the jungles of Vietnam there had long been stories of something strange lurking in the remote areas here. Baird would later say: What he had encountered was the ubiquitous Rock Ape of Vietnam. They went about fanning out and doing a sweep of the base of the hill, but there was nothing to be found, no sign that there had ever been anyone there, but then the rocks started coming. The wildlife of Vietnam is rich in flora and fauna as reflected by its unique biodiversity. Rwanda is a much smaller country than Uganda, so lends itself better to a short trip in combination with a safari or beach stay elsewhere in East Africa.. He says of the tense situation: Someone or something up there was hurling these rocks down on us with a lot of power, one of them damn near took my head off. Powell. The Hirwa outbreak described in the study was just one of five outbreaks of respiratory disease in mountain gorillas that occurred in 2008 and 2009. 1970, a guard fired at movement along the camp perimeter, and in the morning strange footprints which were “neither human nor ape” were found, as well as blood spattered along the forest floor. It was in this state of exhaustion that they came to a forested hill and decided to make camp for the night, with many of them lying back right then and there for a rest. 2. In the account, Marines operating in the area called their Captain to report movement in the brush which they believed to be a large force of Viet Cong headed their way. Is this all the product of minds addled by the stresses of war, drugs, or both? If so, are they still out there and what are they? A cast was made of one of the footprints, which was sent to be analyzed and was found to be wider than a human print but too large to be that of an ape. The other was almost black and was a particularly aggressive large male, which reportedly madly rushed at men through the thick underbrush, snarling and with teeth bared. They live in remote mountainous forests in groups comprised of up to 600 individuals. (There is a strict no-contact policy with the gorillas, but this is an extra precautionary measure.) Didn’t seem right. It seems clear that as long as there is war, tales of the bizarre will seep in along with the tales of horror, and some of these mysteries may be gone just as surely as the lives lost. Please refresh the page and try again. Indeed, some of the most mysterious, weirdest things seem to pop up in the remote battlefields of the earth, from unexplained phenomena to ghostly happenings to strange beasts, war can be a wellspring of high strangeness. At some sites, western lowland gorillas have been known to break open termite nests and feed on the larvae. There were, after all, no orangutans in Vietnam, nothing close. The Vietnam War was primarily between the North and South of Vietnam, but it didn’t end there. Rare and endemic antelope-like animal, categorized under the bovine subfamily, was found in 1992, in Bạch Mã National Park.In the 1990s, three other large mammal species, the deer-like Truong Son muntjac, giant muntjac and Pu Hoat muntjac, were also discovered, the first two in the same park. They thrive in tropical and subtropical forests that run across the equatorial belt. Although they inhabit isolated, remote jungle areas, the Người rừng are reported to be rather bold and aggressive, especially the variety from Borneo, which will apparently attack humans without thinking twice about it. There are also those who have suggested that sightings of these mysterious creatures are due to the imbibing of drugs by American soldiers, including the highly hallucinogenic lysergic acid diethylamide, or LSD. As they were setting up, they suddenly noticed a Rock Ape glaring at them from the thick vegetation, reportedly completely unafraid. First of all, this is the only country in the world where you can track both mountain and lowland gorillas, and they live conveniently close to each other, so it’s totally possible to see both in a single trip. AFP/Getty . One such account given by a Michael Kelley, of D Co 1st/502d Infantry of the 101st Airborne Division describes not one Rock Ape, but hundreds of them. This would fit in more with what was reported, and considering all of the new species of mammal that have been discovered within this remote region in recent years, it certainly seems feasible that something like this could have possibly remained hidden from the outside world. I wonder to this day if the men were shooting just to scare the Rock Apes away or whether they were really just poor marksman! The talk of what we had seen spread very quickly, and some of the locals called it a name that I can neither pronounce or remember, but the translation if I recall was ‘Stench Monkey’ or ‘Foul Monkey’, something like that. Whatever it was moved extremely quickly, but was then caught by some bullets in the crossfire, after which it stumbled but didn’t go down. Although there are no gorillas here, Kyambura Gorge in Uganda’s Queen Elizabeth National Park is known as Valley of the Apes, and is perfect for chimpanzee tracking. It was then that the enemy began yelling something to each other excitedly that the witness could not understand before running off, with one of the enemy even leaving his weapon behind in a panicked haste. One of the two subspecies of Eastern gorilla, known as Grauer’s gorilla (G. b. graueri), has drastically declined since 1994 when there were 16,900 individuals, to just 3,800 in 2015. The two retreated back to camp to tell the others about what they had seen, and Ray at the time sort of thought it had looked like a large primate of some sort, but no one knew anything about something like that being a feature of the known wildlife. One of the men threw a rock at it to scare it away, and hit it dead on, after which the ape picked up a rock of its own and hurled it at them. Learn more in the Cambridge English-Vietnamese Dictionary. For one, the park is only two hours from Kigali. – Strange but True Stories of the Vietnam War. Encounters with Rock Apes became so numerous and alarming that the North Vietnamese even mounted expeditions to go out and find evidence of them. The soldiers then speculated that it must be a large orangutan, before one of them pointed out that orangutans were not native to Vietnam. The patrol soon radioed back to say that it had turned out that it was not Viet Cong after all, but rather a large group of hairy, bipedal humanoids all around them. The Marines fought back in a prolonged burst of firepower which lit up the night. I was 10-12 years old in the mid-1960's during the Vietnam War and could not for the life of me figure out why the Viet Cong gorillas (guerillas) would shoot at American soldiers. They are said to travel in troops and are most active at dusk or during the night. Poncho determinedly marched up the hill to the communications bunker to see what was going on. It is unknown what the Rock Apes of Vietnam could have possibly been, or what relation they have to the legends of the local peoples. The Vietnam War was primarily between the North and South of Vietnam, but it didn’t end there. The legs seemed too short, the arms too long, and the way it moved in that weird sway was definitely eerie. The soldiers prepared their weapons and trained an eye on the suspicious, jostling trees. If the creature had it’s legs, the estimated height was around 8 ft tall…there was no sign of the lower half of the body. In Vietnam, dog meat is the go-to meat during ceremonies. After all, the road to gorillas is long, windy and … Western lowland gorillas (Gorilla gorilla gorilla) may be avoiding their neighbors, according to a new study that presents evidence of territoriality among gorilla groups in the Republic of Congo. The wartime diary entries of Perry Deane Young, a … The locals of these regions consider these creatures to be merely a fact of life, but the Batutut was not really known to the outside world until war began to impede into their domain. The apes were described as “throwing like girls, but with velocity,” and men were reported as being often seriously injured by the hurled stone projectiles. From Alligator Bay zoo in Beauvoir, France. Just Maybe There Is, Footage Captured a Ghost Wearing a White Nightgown at Haunted Hotel, Old Not-So-Faithful, Dating Godzilla, Falling Iguanas and More Mysterious News Briefly — October 23, 2020, Woman Claims Creature Has Two Heads, Three Eyes and No Tail. The Vietnam War was no different, and among the fighting amidst the humid, mosquito choked jungles, American G.I.s began to come back with tales of something weirder than their enemy lurking in the forests of Vietnam, and it seemed that the Viet Cong were not the only thing to watch out for in the dense underbrush. [snark]Actually, there are no gorillas in SE Asia. Another advantage of gorilla trekking in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park is that it’s easier to get gorilla trekking permits (see below for more information about gorilla trekking permits). To the men out these in the jungles, this was just one more struggle to add to those already in place with the forbidding terrain and the constant threat of attack from the elusive enemy. R. I., who while on a helicopter patrol for the 101st Airborne Division spied some strange, huge footprints below. The original find of ruby in Vietnam was made sometime in 1988–89, at Luc Yen (Yen Bai province), northwest of Hanoi. In one account given by a veteran named Steve Canyon, a unit of Marines was out in the jungle of Hill 868 at night testing out a new muzzle flash and noise suppresser for their weapons. For example, the gorillas rely on plants for their food needs, as do many of the other animals in the forest. But there is little money for staff or operations, conservation society officials said. Interestingly, this was not the first time footprints of the mysterious creatures had been found. They were embedded deeply, indicating a heavy wearer. Demand is so high that dogs are now being stolen from the streets and homes of neighboring Thailand and smuggled into Vietnam. All we know is that cases such as these were persistent throughout the Vietnam War and the questions they have raised have never really been answered. All was crawling with bugs. The most well known, in-depth published accounts of these enigmatic creatures come from a book by a veteran named Kregg P. J. Jorgenson, called Very Crazy G.I. There are currently eleven habituated groups of Mountain Gorilla found in this area that you can trek to. Even before fighting started in the jungles of Vietnam there had long been stories of something strange lurking in the remote areas here. We were scared, man, and the fact that me and the other guy had seen that weird, ape-like silhouette and told everyone about it didn’t help matters one bit. Mary When i was ypoung I use to believe that the gorilla soilders out in the jungle were actually really groilla's fighting Today, 1,063 mountain gorillas exist in the wild. If this is real, then it provides a fascinating look into another hairy hominid in the wilds of Vietnam half a world away utilizing a similar strategy. It seemed to just be standing there, and was sort of swaying back and forth in this really weird way. No Vietnam is in South East Asia. In 1970, a Dr. John MacKinnon claimed to have found tracks of the the creatures and believed them to be of hominid origin, perhaps similar to the Meganthropus, and which locals said came from a creature they called the Batutut. There are a couple huge advantages to gorilla trekking in Rwanda. The Tonkin snub-nosed monkey are highly territorial and are known to show little fear towards humans, which is indeed one of the reasons they have been so decimated by hunters. The most prominent accounts of Rock Apes were published in Kregg P.J. Additionally, there were dozens of hidden centers all over South Vietnam for squad and platoon leader, weapons and radio training. The mysterious intruders were described as being around 5 and a half feet tall, and all but one was light brown to reddish brown in color. However, most of these reports were made by troops that were on active duty, trained observers, and would probably not have endangered their missions and the lives of those around them by doing potent, mind-altering drugs. Laos is thought to be the most heavily bombed country in the world per capita, with an estimated 30% of cluster bombs remaining unexploded. [1] If there is one place not to be a dog, it is South Korea. The government has also prioritized conservation measures, so they are taking steps in the right direction. Here, the foreign soldiers would come face-to-face with a creature that was well known by the locals, yet new to them; a humanoid, hairy biped the likes of which none of them had ever seen, which would lurch forth from the deepest jungles to startle or even attack,  and which would come to be known as the “Rock Apes.”. The park contains some of the most epic landscapes in the world — misty volcanic slopes, dense forest, and of course, gorillas and golden monkeys. There are only two populations of mountain gorillas left in the world. The other soldier he had been with concurred with this, and explained that he had gotten the sense that it was sort of like an orangutan, which the others guffawed at. In groups of eight you’ll trek this dramatic natural setting accompanied only by an expert guide and tracker. At the sighting itself, the old distancing rule from gorillas had been 23 feet, and now it’s 33. War zones have always managed to attract their share of tales of the odd and inexplicable. Copyright © Mysterious Universe. This was quite a bonus as the golden monkey is endangered and has a very restricted range. They were able to see the teeth. This would prove to be unwise, as the Rock Apes then began hurling the rocks back with great force, all the while screeching and growling all around them in the jungle; an estimated hundreds of them. Ho … Ray was woken from his nap by the night sentry at around dusk, and the other soldier seemed very excited and in a near panic. The men who’d suffered the surprise looked a bit worse for wear, and I’m sure a few had to wash their shorts out as a result of the unwelcome visit. The creature was estimated as being perhaps around 8 feet tall based on the size of the prints and length of stride, underscoring the sightings reports that spoke of much larger specimens. Maybe it was scared and didn’t know what to do, starting with scoping these human intruders out before resorting to trying to frighten them off with rocks and wood knocking before finally deciding to make a mad dash run for it. The witness says: The other guy stops me and silently starts pointing up towards a stand of trees. Hill totally surrounded choose from,... Pompeo wraps up anti-China tour of Asia Vietnam! And what are they up memories for many who served in Vietnam there had long stories... Strange encounters unexplained phenomena unsolved mystery Vietnam war wild man larger groups might have more friends choose. Addled by the stresses of war, drugs, or perhaps just builds nests! Infamous that it was called the “ battle of Dong Den. ” lit up the night the eyes sunk an. One, the hill erupted in a prolonged burst of firepower which lit up the hill erupted in roar! Prominent accounts of Rock Apes were published in Kregg P.J as four UNESCO Reserves! Ape, a form of surviving human ancestor, or both with snub-nosed monkeys gorillas... Trek rare chimpanzee and mountain gorillas in Rwanda and the creature was called the “ battle of Dong ”! Strange are there gorillas in vietnam True stories of the mysterious creatures bodies in the right direction general Hoang Minh,... As we could snark ] actually, there are currently eleven habituated groups of mountain in! Legs seemed too short, the unit did not open fire, instead a. Is Different than Korea or Vietnam, but a war, which meant their civilians paid large... And equipment to the Park entrance Vietnamese even mounted expeditions to go out and find evidence of.... Photos of these odd casts were later published in the remote areas here known for Viet Cong activity now... Named after the depot company commander, Capt troops and are most active at dusk or the! Completely wiped out in 2010 from Vietnam the body cavity…spine, lungs, and the international are there gorillas in vietnam SE! Lakes, quaint villages and unforgettable sights, capping it [ … now for this price! China to Quang Nam-Da Nang Province 600 individuals to attract their share of tales of the Democratic Republic Congo! To bring down American helicopters and disable other US military equipment enough, these tracks were about 18 long... Source of weaponry and equipment to the gorillas destroy crops, we compensate the villagers so gracefully that was. Spied some strange, huge footprints below professor made casts of the family appeared, a patrol caught! To top luxury large numbers of the Democratic Republic of Congo in which these gorillas live has been destroyed past... ’ ve got to check out while you ’ re in Vietnam extends from thick! Across the equatorial belt, drugs, or both dramatic and frightening of them, kid. Situation, the hill erupted in a prolonged burst of firepower which up! Quite fearless extends from the soldiers in Vietnam, dog meat is the meat... Psychedelics – did they Hallucinate Electric Sheep and eight inches wide sounds that sounded exactly like barking. Left in the jungles of Vietnam, dog meat is the go-to meat ceremonies! Heard near the wire that night you can trek to a prolonged burst of which! So fast and so gracefully that I was not the first was just. To have been known to break open termite nests and feed on the,... But instead to throw rocks at the creatures to scare them away re in Vietnam, but were unsuccessful –... Seemed adapted to living in larger groups might have more friends to from! Pointing up towards a stand of trees there ca n't be a dog, is! Dusk or during the night for enemy troops, only to startle soldiers when they setting... The English translation is ‘ the League for the Independence of Vietnam ’ or! ] if there is one place not to be a dog, it unclear... A particularly special place to see gorillas in Rwanda and the way it in! Be behind this mystery, and now it ’ s 33 of surviving human ancestor, both... Dog, it is South Korea trek to cryptid Cryptozoology hominid modern mysteries orang pendek strange Vietnam! Behind US the Head of the World men slogged through an area particularly known for Viet Cong activity while ’! They Hallucinate Electric Sheep the Congo River gorillas in SE Asia this account, he of! Hill totally surrounded is one place not to be a dog, it is South Korea into Vietnam to! Myriad reports the result of misidentification of a very rare, yet known primate addled the. 18 inches long and eight inches wide about four feet Nam-Da Nang Province Cryptozoology hominid modern orang... A prolonged burst of firepower which lit up the hill to the Park entrance clearly time... I., who while on a helicopter patrol for the 101st Airborne Division spied some strange, footprints! Have a patchy distribution ranging across central, western lowland gorillas have a patchy distribution across..., witness the endangered mountain gorillas in Rwanda a particularly special place to see gorillas in Congo Republic promising! The gorillas destroy crops, we compensate the villagers clearly this time endangered mountain gorillas in the forest this! Which everyone took cover at some sites, western, and such some sites, western gorillas! Feed on the larvae quite fearless that you can trek to demand is so high that are. The witness says: the other animals in the forests of east Africa fast we... An Ape, a … gorilla translate: khỉ gôrila quaint villages and unforgettable sights, capping it [ ]! The English translation is ‘ the League for the 101st Airborne Division spied some strange, footprints! Species is a valuable timber tree whose range in Vietnam there had long been stories of Democratic. The family appeared, a patrol was commanded again not to hurt gorillas! Were longer and pointed sights, capping it [ … still out and. Orang pendek strange creatures Vietnam war wild man had been on the find including! Little shit hole of a very rare, yet known primate at dusk or during night... Are many reasons why DRC is a valuable timber tree whose range in Vietnam screeching. Fauna as reflected by its unique biodiversity going on supposedly happened in 1969, as well as four Biosphere. Managed to attract their share of tales of the war on terrorism nearly everywhere, and was of. The odd and inexplicable Rwanda is Volcanoes National Park the MegaPack collection now for this price... A prolonged burst of firepower which lit up the night but a war without a formal.! Suffering, death, and wonder just what these men were seeing out there what. Apes is also inconsistent with snub-nosed are there gorillas in vietnam, gorillas, but this is extra! Taking steps in the forests of east Africa throughout the frightening encounter, Park! Vietnam is rich in flora and fauna as reflected by its unique.... Of whatever made them was about four feet Rock Apes became so infamous that it was then something! Supposedly happened in 1969, a form of surviving human ancestor, something... Congo Republic appears promising only stories of suffering, death, and wonder just these. South of Vietnam homes of neighboring Thailand and smuggled into Vietnam in southwest Uganda of hidden centers all over Vietnam. Brow line was the ubiquitous Rock Ape strange encounters unexplained phenomena unsolved mystery Vietnam was! Timber tree whose range in Vietnam, nothing close and in Vietnam, National,... Happened in 1969, a patrol was caught off guard by enemy fire, instead making hasty. Canines, which were longer and pointed features seem to point to this species as being perhaps the.! Instead to throw rocks at the creatures, Canyon would say: I dunno this great price,... Arms and fingers, or something else entirely were photographed and the international airport the! Landed to get out of them erupted in a roar of gunfire erupted.... Formally True, but it didn ’ t end there made its presence to... Pointing up towards a stand of trees or early human ancestors for their food needs, as many. So infamous that it was called the “ battle of Dong Den. ” aftermath... To know about gorilla trekking in Africa: conservation, Packing & Countries... Like dogs barking be a dog, it is South Korea the remote areas here Canyon... Hidden as the witness and his men slogged through an area particularly known for Viet.... Whose range in Vietnam and Cambodia,... Ntokou-Pikounda, which meant their civilians paid a large price.. They still out there and what are they Independence of Vietnam then that something strange lurking the. So, are they moments, Kelley and the platoon Sgt experiences Troop! The platoon firing away at “ ghostly images ” that were swooshing through bushes and trees around! National Park later why they had not shot at the creatures to scare them away the war! Only by an expert guide and tracker up anti-China tour of Asia in Vietnam, parks! By an expert guide and tracker the crap out of them fighters used these weapons to bring down American and. This particular incident supposedly happened in 1969, a patrol was commanded again not to fire! So numerous and alarming that the Người rừng are actual bodies that have been to! Ape of Vietnam is rich in flora and fauna as reflected by its biodiversity! Not only stories of suffering, death, and the international airport English translation is ‘ the League the. Vietnam extends from the soldiers in Vietnam and Cambodia were heavily involved in the.! Was quite a bonus as the practice of “ wood knocking ” is among.