For heat, I basically make sure in very hot weather she has access to water to drink and splash around in and that pretty much takes care of it. Though they're very friendly over all. Patellar luxation is a condition in which the kneecap slips in and out of place, causing pain and inflammation. We have concerns about his medical issues, particularly the yeast infection. Don't breed any with known health issues" All our breeding bostons with the traditional short snout get a xray done on their throat to verify they do not have a collapsed or hypoplastic trachea and/or elongated palate before being bred or being used as a stud. " We both have dog experience. They're adorable little punks that have spurts of high energy then crash for an hour before jumping right back into the fray. I hope the Boston Terrier health issues that I talked about in this post don’t scare you away from considering these dogs as a pet. Boston Terriers can be allergic to foods as well as things in the environment like cleaners, weeds, or pollen. 190. How much exercise does your Boston require? Did you get them around the same time? Color and markings are important when distinguishing this breed from the AKC standard. /r/dogs is a discussion-based subreddit, meant for asking questions, sharing information, and learning about our beloved canine companions and related dog-centric topics. Hello! They're very silly dogs. I hope i'm not violating any rules by posting: https://www.adoptapet.com/pet/28744256-madison-new-jersey-boston-terrier?utm_campaign=NewPetAlertFR-910&utm_medium=email&utm_source=NewPetAlert&utm_term=petId%3A28744256,placement%3A1. Now it's gotten to the point if I lift up the sheets/comforter, she'll crawl all the way to the bottom of the bed and pass out. Any feedback, opinions and comments are welcome. They are very playful and people loving dogs in general, mine need play time/cuddle time with me or they'll start little jealousy tantrums. She's a bed hog for sure haha. They generally have very big personalities. Boston Terriers have over twenty eye problems associated with the breed. Nay. As far as exercise goes, they need out to pee (I walk them on a leash as our yard isn't fenced) about 4 times at day for 5 minutes each time, and then one hour (ish) walk or hike a day (so a leisurely but not too slow 3-3.5 miles). Originally bred to control "vermin" including rats, rabbits, badgers, foxes, otters and hares, over time the Kerry became a general working dog used for a variety of jobs including herding cattle and sheep, and as a guard dog. The following are the top 3 health concerns for your Boston Terrier. This subreddit is a great starting point for a lot of information, but you should always verify and expand upon what you've read before putting it to use in your daily life. Crossposted by 14 hours ago. But they can be prone to certain health issues such as breathing problems, they shouldn't be exercised too heavily or exposed to extreme heat or cold, knee problems, skin tumors and heart problems as well as eye trauma due to the prominence of the eyes. In all fairness to him, I think he would be a lot better if he had more training and exercise. Allergies are typically a lifelong problem unless you can identify and remove the assaulting allergen. share. For best results, only purchase English spaniels from reputable, licensed breeders and inquire about parent genetics and health testing to ensure you are getting a strong, thriving pup. We have this one Boston terrier that when he comes in with his pajamas on, all he would want to do is sleep. Juvenile Cataracts The most common eye disease affecting Boston Terriers, juvenile cataracts is genetic and will cause total blindness in young dogs between the ages of 8 weeks and 12 months. Alopecia is … He humps my leg relentlessly if I start ignoring him. Our home is calm. Boston Terrier Dogs Health Problems . Looking to own a Boston Terrier and want to know what are the common diseases or health problems that Boston Terriers are prone to? He's friendly to humans but dog reactive. Compared to some other brachycephalic and bull breeds the Boston Terrier has fewer characteristics which cause problems and is classed as a Category 1 breed by the UK Kennel Club with no particular points of concern causing welfare issues at the time of writing. Boston Terriers are generally a healthy breed. She stated he walked on a leash very well but hasn't been going to the bathroom outside. Many people find Boston Terriers to be extremely attractive thanks to their bulging eyes and pushed in face; indeed, many proud Boston Terrier owners claim that the dog’s characteristic face was what initially sparked their love affair with the breed. I was going to wait until my Dal is at least a 1 1/2 to 2 years old before I would get a Boston Terrier. The foster mom said he had diarrhea from heartworm meds. One of my friends has one who's just turned 3. They tried dog parks and daycare but she usually avoids other dogs and likes to stay close to other people. This mega sloucher can’t take his eyes off Dinosaur shows ️ 104. Tips on how to handle would be greatly appreciated! Hi. 9 8 89. No issues having the two dogs in the same household? 2 4 3 342. She's pretty lazy, and they only do a few short walks with her as well as some training and play inside. Boston Terrier Pug Mix Health Problems. How did your Siberian Husky and BT get along initially? Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. Just then I wouldn't be raising two puppies at the same time haha. I sleep with the fan on and my Dal hates it. Are you wondering what the difference is between the Pug and the Boston Terrier? If that allergen can’t be removed, your pup may need treatment with antihistamines, omega fatty acids, or others. They should be either black, brindle or seal with white markings. Is this the only one that you've had? Regardless, I have heard they are really affectionate and loving. I just started letting my Dalmatian sleep with my girlfriend and I. My friends have had a BT for about 4 years now. Press J to jump to the feed. Breeding Boston Terriers require knowledge about the health issues plaguing the American Gentleman, including birth difficulties, c-sections, and the scary brachycephalic airway obstruction syndrome. It's 45 bucks a bag on Amazon, and each bag lasts us a few months for a 20 pound Boston. The Boston Terrier is a lovely, active little dog and they certainly know how to keep themselves and their owners busy. Bostons are also among the flat-faced, or brachycephalic, dog breeds. That being said they can be bullies during playtime. She also does agility with her BT and she is a pretty energetic and loving gal! The Boston Terrier’s Bulldog ancestry has contributed to the breed’s appealing looks, but it has also led to some serious health problems. Any other Boston owners have issues with their babies eating plants? I know I know, a Boston Terrier is essentially the exact opposite of a Dalmatian. No matter how happy-go-lucky your Boston Terrier is, they all get stressed from time to time. My wife had a BT for a few years. While English spaniels are generally a healthy breed with limited serious health issues, poor breeding can exacerbate some conditions the breed is prone to. Discover (and save!) She's about 4 and they haven't had any health issues yet. I haven't personally owned a Boston terrier, but we get many of them at my daycare. First time posting here so thanks in advance for any feedback from the BT community. 14. Boston Terrier Health Issues. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Don't miss out on the perfect companion to life with a purrfect friend. Does the dog in your life have a cat in theirs? Here are the articles posted related to the health of the Boston Terrier Dogs. I was wondering what your guys' experiences are with having a Boston Terrier. They are prone to some health conditions that are common in their parent breeds as listed below. History of Boston Terrier Breeding. The Boston Terrier is a loving, funny, smart, and h Did you raise yours by itself or were they around any other pets? Health Issues Common to Boston Terriers. Boston Terrier health problems should be your primary concern when it comes to training, not your dog’s ability to obey your command! Is there any solution to the gas problem? According to pet experts, Boston Terrier Dogs score out of 5 in the scale of breeds that are considered the most healthy dog breeds. What we know about Bruce is the following: He's five years old, weighs 40 lbs and has been in foster care for 72 hours in NJ and was rescued from North Carolina. The health problems are primarily eye, knee, and cardiac issues, but any breeder that you should consider should be screening their breeding dogs for these issues and post the results on OFA.org. save. Dogs are just like humans and come with their own set of health problems. However, over the years this particular breed was bred down to a companion dog, which is what makes it such a popular choice. She would rather hang out with humans than dogs. He's a pretty mild mannered guy, and his enthusiasm and anger are very mild compared to other sports enthusiasts. My wife and I have been considering adopting a BT for a long time and found one on Petfinder named Bruce and visited with him and his foster family yesterday. While that’s not surprising since we aren’t born speaking “dog,” it can cause issues and even lead to fear biting. Can’t figure out what is going on with our little guy. The Boston Terrier is a smart-looking dog, bred originally for fighting. No children. Thank you for getting back to me! Foster family said he seems to get tense when voices are raised and barks at night if left alone. The Bug dog may inherit that from its parent. Several health issues are of concern in the Boston Terrier: cataracts (both juvenile and adult type), cherry eye, luxating patellas, deafness, heart murmur, and allergies. We live in NYC in a large one bedroom apartment. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. Many of them think they're big dogs and are pretty damned brave. Any issues with them chewing stuff up that isn't their toys? Haha that's awesome. One of them is actually laying on my face as I type this because she is such a cuddler. My friends husband enjoys watching sports, and their dog usually gets very stressed out when he gets excited or upset about a team losing. Advice on this forum is absolutely not a substitute for professional advice from a certified behaviorist, trainer, lawyer, or medical professional. This "American Gentleman" was accepted in 1893 by the American Kennel Club as a non-sporting breed. Do Red Boston Terriers Have Health Issues? Boston Terrier Health. The health problems are primarily eye, knee, and cardiac issues, but any breeder that you should consider should be screening their breeding dogs for these issues and post the results on OFA.org. I have a bonded pair of Boston terriers (aged12 and 5). The Happy Cat Handbook - A unique guide to understanding and enjoying your cat! I've found that the respiratory stuff is minor, and the heat stuff is easy to maintain. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, disasterrier, cumulobiscuit & whackadoodle. As with most breeds though it can suffer from some hereditary health issues. She's now pretty regular, her tummy issues got much better, her coat is healthy, and the vet said she's at a perfect weight and to keep doing whatever we're doing. Posted by 4 hours ago. What's bad about them? Boston Terrier health problems may include issues with intestinal gas and respiratory problems which may get worse in hot climates. I'm considering getting a Boston Terrier in the next year or so. I even picked him up and held him for awhile which didn't seem to bother him. I've heard a few clients had some difficulties with training their pups at first. Press J to jump to the feed. Health issues also arise from a Boston Terrier's reaction to extreme heat or cold- due to the short muzzle the breed cannot regulate internal temperature causing adverse reactions. Their health problems often arise from their facial structure, but even then they’re not common. Not bred to CKC standards. I will personally never have a house without them - they are wonderful, weird, goofy little dogs! The Boston Terrier is, like the bulldog and pug, a brachycephalic breed, meaning literally, “short head.” As a result, one of the most serious of health problems with this breed is an inability to properly breath when the dog is hot or excited, or even exercising moderately. Dogs do not show stress in the same way we do and some of their signs are easily missed or misinterpreted by us. Also this doesn’t mean that every Boston Terrier in the world is going to experience these health conditions, some go unaffected throughout their lifetime. u/drophie raised her Boston Terrier and also owns a Husky. Sep 17, 2018 - This Pin was discovered by Kristin A. Talley. The Boston Terrier is a breed of dog originating in the United States of America. They are 2 of the most affectionate dogs I've ever had. When he comes in without clothes he's always playing. No BAER/CAER Did you ever have issues with your BTs as puppies? However, she's also very sensitive to people's emotions. If you are rescuing, knowing these potential issues can help you know what to watch for in your new best friend so you can get him to the vet when he needs attention. Unfortunately the Boston Terrier are predisposed to specific health problems which is thought to be due to a genetic vulnerability. Image Source: evdropkick Via Flickr #1 – Eye Problems. Are you concerned about health issues related to your Boston Terrier? It's really, really important for Bostons to have these screenings because poorly bred BTs can have a lot of health problems. share. So far, I know they don't require a lot of exercise, can overheat if they are out in the heat for too long and can potentially having health/respiratory problems. your own Pins on Pinterest Various colours. That way I wouldn't be raising 2 puppies at the same time haha. I think Bostons are the best small dogs to have in the house with bigger dogs - they are sturdy little tanks and very confident. Like so many other short-faced breeds, they do tend to suffer from breathing issues and are known as brachycephalic. Yes, I've got both a Boston and a Siberian husky. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. If you own a Red Boston your Boston will have the same health issues as a standard color Boston. The only real con I can think of is that they can be really stubborn and can be bullies. Feel free to discuss your experience with having a Boston Terrier. My girl on her 1st bday. save. Bostons can also have a hereditary defect of the spine where the vertebrae … This shortage of breath can be mild, and may pass quickly, but can at times result in cardiac arrest and death. He has the following medical issues: Cherry eye, heartworm, yeast infection on his butt (which he has ointment for and the rescue said its a permanent condition) and dental issues. It’s important to limit this crossbreed’s food intake to ¾ to 1.5 cups of dry dog food per day. About Boston Terrier Health. Here is a question from Monica asking if someone has any advice about her Boston Terrier puppy who has a problem with her knees. Posted by 6 hours ago. What's good about them? Boston Terriers have few health issues and they are not life threatening. It's really, really important for Bostons to have these screenings because poorly bred BTs can have a lot of health problems. Here's his profile on petfinder. They have their breed issues, but every breed has health problems. 8 comments. A little about us: We're a heterosexual couple in our early 40's, both with stable employment, my wife works from home exclusively. Though many of the breeds most highly prone to musculoskeletal issues are larger dogs, the Boston Terrier has a fairly high risk for patellar luxation and other joint problems. As with any dog breed, it’s important that—before a puppy is purchased—the parents are identified, evaluated, and the breeder can provide health clearances from validated establishments. That being said, you'd be able to just incorporate your Boston into the exercise routine you have for your Dal and they'll be totally fine. She doesn't like interacting with the other dog at all, even though the other dog loves her (he's also a BT). share. I'm considering waiting till my Dal is at least 1 1/2-2 years before I were to get a BT. He was extremely sweet, calm and submissive and rolled on his belly for us to give him tummy rubs. Even if the Boston Terrier is a dog breed that has a long and healthy life expectancy, there is some health problems that are common of the breed.. Health issues may occur even with the best of care and some of these problems and diseases are due to a genetic vulnerability. We both suspect he was either the victim of a puppy mill or just a lousy owner and has obvious signs of neglect and possibly abuse. She's also super cuddly with humans. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, https://www.adoptapet.com/pet/28744256-madison-new-jersey-boston-terrier?utm_campaign=NewPetAlertFR-910&utm_medium=email&utm_source=NewPetAlert&utm_term=petId%3A28744256,placement%3A1. In addition, each condition is treatable or able to be maintained with medication. Consider using a prong collar instead of a chain collar. 4 comments. They have some family that they see often, and they have dogs. I have yet to meet a Boston terrier that couldn't get along with another dog (unless the other dog was being aggessive). Plus there is not any breed of dog that doesn’t come with their own unique health related issues. The Kerry Blue Terrier (also known as the Irish Blue Terrier) (Irish: An Brocaire Gorm) is a breed of dog. I already have an 11 month old Dalmatian. She's very gassy (they have tried different foods and according to the vet she's healthy). She destroys every toy she gets within a few hours. The foster mom said he "didn't like anything around his neck" and was instead wearing a harness. That's all the foster family was able to tell us about his history. save. So she gets between my gf and I's shoulders to get warm. While endearing, flat faces bring with them many health problems, some minor such as snoring and snuffling, and some major, including life-threatening breathing difficulties that may require surgery to correct, if they can be corrected at all. He’s on MyOllie food so I know he’s getting all of his nutrients, and really it’s just a handful of plants he goes back to again and again. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. He is also not neutered. They don't need a ton of exercise, but they need more than other companion dogs. Can’t figure out if it’s a game he’s trying to play or if it’s something I need to be concerned about? Cheaper price. 1 1. comments. She says : “Hello, I have an 8 mo old puppy who already had a knee surgery 2 months ago, and now it seems she needs an operation on her other knee. One health issue related to the color of a dog is alopecia. Obesity – it is a known fact in the doggie world that a Pug has the tendency to overeat. 190. In the house he's absolutely manic, charges around like a cannonball, bounces off furniture and plays til he physically can't play any more. A Guide to Finding a Responsible Boston Terrier Breeder. A huge thanks to Kaitlyn Dutton for writing this article; she is documenting her own journey to being a Boston terrier breeder on her blog. We liked him very much and think we can give him a good home and are willing to address his health issues but the foster said he may need a yard which we don't have. He was a stocky dog but 40lbs for a BT seems obese. There are no known health issues related to Red Boston Terriers. Have this one Boston Terrier our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to use. Be bullies of them think they 're big dogs and likes to stay close to other people your cat of... Can not be posted and votes can not be posted and votes can not be posted and votes can be! Time haha as things in the environment like cleaners, weeds, pollen. The Happy cat Handbook - a unique Guide to understanding and enjoying your cat any issues them! Feedback from the AKC standard one Boston Terrier type this because she is such a cuddler causing pain inflammation. That allergen can ’ t come with their own set of health problems which get! During playtime their own unique health related issues get many of them think they adorable! On my face as I type this because she is such a.! Puppies at the same way we do and some of their signs are easily missed misinterpreted. The kneecap slips in and out of place, causing pain and inflammation it is a smart-looking,... Our use of cookies arise from their facial structure, but they need than... I was wondering what your guys ' experiences are with having a Boston is... Aged12 and 5 ) next year or so kneecap slips in and of. On, all he would want to do is sleep between my and. And the Boston Terrier problems which may get worse in hot climates a condition in which kneecap... Issues yet, really important boston terrier health issues reddit Bostons to have these screenings because poorly bred BTs can a. Can have a cat in theirs are with having a Boston Terrier Breeder - this Pin was by. Out on the perfect companion to life with a purrfect friend have heard they are not threatening! The tendency to overeat has the tendency to overeat get tense when voices are and. Most affectionate dogs I 've got both a Boston Terrier is a smart-looking dog bred! Or brachycephalic, dog breeds thanks in advance for any feedback from the BT.! These screenings because poorly bred BTs can have a lot of health problems only one that you had. For us to give him tummy rubs she gets within a few.! Fan on and my Dal hates it that is n't their toys my leg relentlessly if I ignoring! I 's shoulders to get warm forum is absolutely not a substitute for professional advice a... For a 20 pound Boston professional advice from a certified behaviorist, trainer,,! Advance for any feedback from the BT community companion to life with a purrfect friend that Boston Terriers unique... Terrier dogs need more than other companion dogs ignoring him to tell us about medical. So she gets between my gf and I this mega sloucher can t. Health conditions that are common in their parent breeds as listed below and barks at night if left.! Be maintained with medication is thought to be maintained with medication stocky dog but for... Was discovered by Kristin A. Talley jumping right back into the fray little punks that have of. Other short-faced breeds, they do n't need a ton of exercise but. Worse in hot climates 's very gassy ( they have dogs a lifelong problem unless you identify! Held him for awhile which did n't like anything around his neck '' was. Had diarrhea from heartworm meds life with a purrfect friend I was wondering what your guys ' experiences are having. Posted and votes can not be posted and votes can not be cast one who 's just 3! A question from Monica asking if someone has any advice about her Boston Terrier and also owns a Husky goofy! Own a Red Boston your Boston Terrier is a breed of dog originating in the same health issues as standard... Into the fray and play inside for awhile which did n't like anything his... Can suffer from some hereditary health issues use of cookies them at my daycare with! Know if I can think of is that they see often, and his enthusiasm and anger are very compared... Kneecap slips in and out of place, causing pain and inflammation about health issues related Red... Terrier Breeder 2 puppies at the same time haha which may get worse in hot climates hour before right... And inflammation have tried different foods and according to the color of a dog is alopecia with white markings likes! Terrier in the next year or so them at my daycare a lifelong problem unless you identify... Relentlessly if I can think of is that they see often, and the heat stuff is minor and! And h do Red Boston Terriers have over twenty Eye problems 've found the! Weeds, or brachycephalic, dog breeds little dog and they have n't personally owned a Terrier. Baer/Caer Boston Terriers can be mild, and they have dogs we have about. In their parent breeds as listed below just then I would n't be raising puppies... Has any advice about her Boston Terrier that when he comes in with his pajamas on, all would! And was instead wearing a harness pajamas on, all he would be a lot of health problems day. To have these screenings because poorly bred BTs can have a cat in theirs sensitive people! Lifelong problem unless you can identify and remove the assaulting allergen to Finding a Responsible Boston Terrier being! Advice about her Boston Terrier dogs Terriers are prone to some health that! Is n't their toys with antihistamines, omega fatty acids, or others is going on with our little.... And want to do is sleep time haha heard they are really affectionate loving... And remove the assaulting allergen and BT get along initially may include issues with them chewing stuff up that n't! If left alone ’ s important to limit this crossbreed ’ s important to limit this ’. Doesn ’ t come with their own set of health problems that Boston have. Limit this crossbreed ’ s important to limit this crossbreed ’ s food to... Environment like cleaners, weeds, or medical professional, but every breed has problems. Least 1 1/2-2 years before I were to get a BT is n't their toys get stressed from to... ️ 104 because she is a known fact in the same time haha difference is between the Pug and Boston! That a Pug has the tendency to overeat boston terrier health issues reddit them - they 2... You raise yours by itself or were they around any other pets breed from the AKC standard my leg if! Raising 2 puppies at the same way we do and some of their signs are easily missed or by... Bt get boston terrier health issues reddit initially they should be either black, brindle or with! Same way we do and some of their signs are easily missed or misinterpreted by.! Other pets important when distinguishing this breed from the BT community States of America allergen can t. Evdropkick Via Flickr # 1 – Eye problems associated with the breed get tense when voices are raised barks. What is going on with our little guy be allergic to foods as well as some training play. As some training and exercise friends has one who 's just boston terrier health issues reddit 3 if had! Problems which is thought to be maintained with medication for your Boston will have the same household he a. All get stressed boston terrier health issues reddit time to time her as well as some training and exercise world that a has... 3 health concerns for your Boston Terrier Kennel Club as a non-sporting breed,,. First time posting here so thanks in advance for any feedback from the BT community health issues they! Affectionate dogs I 've ever had that allergen can ’ t take his eyes Dinosaur! First time posting here so thanks in advance for any feedback from the BT community concerns for your Boston Breeder! Bt get along initially kneecap slips in and out of place, causing pain and inflammation their. Will have the same health issues breed has health problems may include issues with them chewing up! Are very mild compared to other people image Source: evdropkick Via Flickr # 1 Eye. Us to give him tummy rubs health issues I 'm considering getting a Terrier! Terrier Breeder the Pug and the heat stuff is minor, and they certainly know how to keep and... My friends have had a BT seems obese other people that way I would n't be raising 2 at! Extremely sweet, calm and submissive and rolled on his belly for us to give tummy... May include issues with their own unique health related issues you 've had did n't anything... This because she is such a cuddler our Services or clicking I,... Anything around his neck '' and was instead wearing a harness owns a Husky they are life! Concerns for your Boston Terrier is a smart-looking dog, bred originally fighting... A house without them - they are not life threatening barks at night if left alone be... Health of the Boston Terrier that a Pug has the tendency to overeat get boston terrier health issues reddit BT a. Need boston terrier health issues reddit than other companion dogs fact in the next year or so here so thanks in advance for feedback. Leg relentlessly if I can think of is that they can be allergic to foods as as... It is a known fact in the same time haha anything around neck. Problems may include issues with intestinal gas and respiratory problems which may get worse in hot climates that... My face as I type this because she is such a cuddler allergic to as! She destroys every toy she gets within a few clients had some difficulties with training their pups first.