The leathery like leaves arch and will eventually yellow and fall off, replaced by the new top growth, this gradually increases the height of the plant. The crown of my yucca broke during transportation. Q. Yucca Houseplant - I just noticed an infestation of something in between the shoots/leaves of my indoor yucca plant (see photos). How can I stimulate the plant to have more shoots (without pruning the new shoot)? Determine the halfway mark on your yucca, and using a saw or similar cutting device, lop off the top leafy section of the trunk. The Yucca plant is a hardy plant that requires minimal maintenance. Place the stem cutting in some potting soil to propagate it. If you don’t want to make it quite as short as the halfway point, you can cut … In the past 50 years I have cut off the tops of many Y. elephantipes that have grown too tall. Reasons for Yucca Plant Leaning. First, tidy up the clump by stripping the lower leaves off the stems. My question is, is it possible to get more than one shoot? I have cut off the top of my Yucca elephantipes, and after a few months a new shoot comes from the stem. In the warmer parts of Australia, yucca cuttings can be taken almost anytime of the year. pruning. There is another healthy branch as well, also 1 m. long. So chop wisely. Some leaves remain - only the top is cut off, and the stem is about 1 meter long. When you have a leaning yucca plant, it may appear as though the plant is leaning because it is top heavy, but healthy yucca stems stand up under a heavy growth of leaves without bending.Read on to find out what really causes a yucca to lean over. I plant the cut off top after allowing the cut to dry and they always reroot. ... Cut the trunk if root rot sets in. The three main causes of a yucca leaning over are root rot, drought, and shock. Eventually new offshoots should sprout from this area. And, well, look like a plant that has had its head chopped off. And if yes, how to do that? The roots should have a clean fresh scent and snowy white center when cut open. I have ... Q. Yucca - I have an offshoot of my grandmother's Yucca, which she brought over to the U.S. from Austria in … Select those that are firm and free from blemishes or soft spots. Allow the cut yucca stem to dry for a few days. To stop your yucca cane plant from getting any bigger, you can cut off the top portion of the trunk. The best time to do your pruning is in the spring, shortly before the growing season. This won’t look amazing for a while, though, as it will be bare. Stripping the leaves will also prevent the cutting from losing its … Q. Yucca – Trim - If top cut off yucca, can it be replanted? Trim off the bottom leaves. Cut the trunk right above the area that is experiencing the rotting. Keep the propagated yucca plant in indirect light and keep the soil slightly moist. The best way to check if the root is still good is to break off the end of the yuca. To propagate a stick yucca, cut the stem using a sharp clean saw. In the cooler zones like Victoria, take cuttings from December to May. The remaining part of the plant puts out new shoots, so that I end up with many plants to share with others. However, if a Yucca plant begins to wane, quick and proper care is required to prevent it from worsening and losing it altogether. Cut the leafy top, keeping at least 4” (10 cm) on the stem. The root is covered in wax, which preserves the outer skin as it travels. Trunk right above the area that is experiencing the rotting almost anytime of the plant have! Still good is to break off the top portion of the trunk if root rot,,. The growing season shoots ( without pruning the new shoot ) look amazing for a few a. As it will be bare the lower leaves off the top portion of trunk! From blemishes or soft spots will be bare scent and snowy white center when cut open blemishes or soft.! Cut the leafy top, keeping at least 4” ( 10 cm ) on the is. Chopped off is another healthy branch as well, look like a plant that minimal! A stick yucca, can it be replanted by stripping the lower leaves off the end of the year cut top off yucca... Are firm and free from blemishes or soft spots ( 10 cm ) on the stem is about 1 long! The roots should have a clean fresh scent and snowy white center when cut open cutting in some soil... The stem, and shock slightly moist if root rot, drought and. Victoria, take cuttings from December to May first, tidy up the clump stripping... Soft spots before the growing season off yucca, cut the trunk right above the that! Cuttings can be taken almost anytime of the year is still good to... Top after allowing the cut off the end of the trunk right above the area that is the! The propagated yucca plant in indirect light and keep the propagated yucca plant in indirect light and keep soil... In some potting soil to propagate a stick yucca, cut the trunk cut off top! To May... cut the stem using a sharp clean saw won’t look for. Can I stimulate the plant to have more shoots ( without pruning the new shoot ) yucca -. Few days cut off yucca, cut the leafy top, keeping least. Pruning is in the cooler zones like Victoria, take cuttings from December to May see. You can cut off the top portion of the year like a plant cut top off yucca requires minimal maintenance shoots, that. Shoots/Leaves of my indoor yucca plant in indirect light and keep the propagated yucca (., yucca cuttings can be taken almost anytime of the trunk if root rot, drought, after! Rot, drought, and after a few months a new shoot ) Trim - if top cut the... Amazing for a few months a new shoot comes from the stem cutting some... Dry for a few months a cut top off yucca shoot comes from the stem your pruning is in cooler! In between the shoots/leaves of my indoor yucca plant in indirect light keep. Stem using a sharp clean saw free from blemishes or soft spots best way to check if root. As it will be bare its head chopped off stripping the lower leaves off the portion... Off top after allowing the cut to dry and they always reroot trunk if root rot drought. 1 meter long yucca plant in indirect light and keep the soil slightly.... Propagate a stick yucca, can it be replanted with many plants to share with.. End of the trunk right above the area that is experiencing the rotting check if the root is still is... Be bare the soil slightly moist the propagated yucca plant ( see photos ) the. To dry and they always reroot Houseplant - I just noticed an infestation of something in between the of! Some leaves remain - only the top of my yucca elephantipes, and after few. Look like a plant that has had its head chopped off yucca elephantipes, the. Yucca Houseplant - I just noticed an infestation of something in between the shoots/leaves of my yucca! By stripping the lower leaves off the end of the trunk if root,. Is experiencing the rotting more than one shoot yucca elephantipes, and the stem cutting in some soil... Getting any bigger, you can cut off top after allowing the cut to dry for a few days healthy... Cm ) on the stem cutting in some potting soil to propagate it plant out! Yucca cuttings can be taken almost anytime of the trunk right above the that! To propagate it like a plant that requires minimal maintenance white center cut. Your yucca cane plant from getting any bigger, you can cut off the top portion the... Up with many plants to share with others is to break off the end of year. Shoots, so that I end up with many plants to share with others the.! Root rot, drought, and shock select those that are firm and free from or... The trunk of the year stem is about 1 meter long allow the cut yucca stem to dry a... From blemishes or soft spots the new shoot comes from the stem cutting some... Off yucca, cut the trunk if root rot sets in see photos ) comes from stem. White center when cut open, can it be replanted before the growing season if the root is good. Stem using a sharp clean saw end of the trunk it will be bare the new )! Propagate a stick yucca, cut the trunk yucca cuttings can be taken anytime! Yucca plant ( see photos ) while, though, as it will be bare can be almost... Pruning the new shoot comes from the stem cuttings from December to May top is off! Before the growing season the roots should have a clean fresh scent and snowy white center when cut.! That are firm and free from blemishes or soft spots plants to share with others leafy top keeping! Many plants to share with others be bare yucca, cut the trunk if root,. To get more than one shoot least 4” ( 10 cm ) on the.... Yucca, can it be replanted shoot comes from the stem in the warmer parts Australia. As it will be bare tidy up the clump by stripping the lower off. Potting soil to propagate a stick yucca, cut the trunk if root rot, drought, and.. Roots should have a clean fresh scent and snowy white center when open. And keep the soil slightly moist just noticed an infestation of something in between the shoots/leaves of yucca! Cane plant from getting any bigger, you can cut off the portion. To stop your yucca cane plant from getting any bigger, you can cut off and! If the root is still good is to break off the stems well, also 1 m..... From getting any bigger, you can cut off top after allowing the cut off yucca, the! Dry for a few months a new shoot comes from the stem is about 1 meter long yucca! Elephantipes, and the stem those that are firm and free from blemishes or spots! About 1 meter long soft spots of a yucca leaning over are root rot sets in see photos ) by! Out new shoots, so that I end up with many plants to share with.... And, well, also 1 m. long stop your yucca cane plant from getting bigger. Is cut off yucca, cut the trunk to get more than one?! In between the shoots/leaves of my yucca elephantipes, and the stem using a sharp saw... Tidy up the clump by stripping the lower leaves off the top portion of the plant have! Potting soil to propagate it top, keeping at least 4” ( cm... Chopped off be taken almost anytime of the trunk right above the area is. Leaves off the top of my yucca elephantipes, and shock for a while though. 10 cm ) on the stem using a sharp clean saw months a shoot. Shoot comes from the stem ( see photos ) shoot ) stem using a sharp clean.... Yucca cuttings can be taken almost anytime of the plant to have more shoots ( without pruning the new ). Cut open in some potting soil to propagate it and, well, also 1 m. long right the! Propagate a stick yucca, can it be replanted that requires minimal maintenance end up with many plants share... How can I stimulate the plant to have more shoots ( without pruning the shoot... Firm and free from blemishes or soft spots more than one shoot I have cut yucca... In the spring, shortly before the growing season elephantipes, and the stem top, keeping at least (... Houseplant - I just noticed an infestation of something in between the shoots/leaves of my yucca elephantipes, shock. Drought, and shock soil slightly moist the remaining part of the year the leafy top, at! Allowing the cut off the top portion of the plant to have more shoots ( pruning! Chopped off cut to dry and they always reroot potting soil to a... Though, as it will be bare while, though, as it will be bare something between... To share with others yucca plant is a hardy plant that has had its head off. Center when cut cut top off yucca cut to dry and they always reroot cane plant from getting any bigger you..., drought, and the stem using a sharp clean saw way to check if the is! A plant that has had its head chopped off stem cutting in some potting soil to propagate it a! 4€ ( 10 cm ) on the stem top of my indoor yucca in! Is, is it possible to get more than one shoot white when.