The nearest airport is Rome Ciampino, 18 km from The Old Vatican, and the property offers a paid airport shuttle service. Which in turn puts a premium on outward appearance and enforces conformity to a certain official ideal. St. Peter's Basilica on St. Peter's Square, Vatican City. His book collection began the Vatican Library. “Everything is permitted because you are a prince of the court,” he says. Ad Choices. The first time the word is encountered in the Old Testament is in the Book of Leviticus, in chapter 4, where the “messiah” is the priest (Leviticus 4:3.5.16.17). It is more or less impossible for gay clerics to articulate their affections in any way that does not amount to what an Anglo-Saxon mind might see as hypocrisy. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated as of 1/1/21) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated as of 1/1/21) and Your California Privacy Rights. "We know for certain that St. Helen transported the nails used to crucify Jesus and a portion of his cross, to a church near here," said Guerra. Maybe his plans had changed again. . Naked but for the towel around his waist, a man of a certain age sat by himself, bent slightly forward as if praying, in a corner of the sauna at a gym in central Rome. Visiting the official website of the Holy See one can browse: the Magisterium of the Supreme Pontiffs (from Pope Leo XIII to Pope Francis); the fundamental texts of Catholicism in various languages (the Sacred Bible, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, the documents of the Second Vatican Council and the Code of Canon Law); the documents of Dicasteries, Bodies and Institutions of the Roman Curia When I asked the archbishop who among the other cardinals were O’Brien’s closest friends, he coldly answered, “I don’t think he had any.” Every man for himself, indeed. In 2000, Politi published a book-length interview with an anonymous gay priest, entitled La Confessione, republished in 2006 as Io, Prete Gay (I, Gay Priest). All rights reserved. “They are really poisonous people, and they work out their own inner demonology by getting into positions in power and exercising it” against other gay men, women, and anyone whom they perceive to be a threat. The term “Vatican” is also used to refer to the Papal palace. At The Old Vatican every room is equipped with a desk, a flat-screen TV and a private bathroom. I had not met this man before, but as I entered the sauna, I thought I recognized him from photographs. . They all got a shock late last July when Francis made his first direct public statement about gay clerics since becoming Pope. (Stenico tried to persuade Italian newspapers that he’d just been playing along in order “to study how priests are ensnared” into gay sex as part of “a diabolical plan by groups of Satanists.” He was suspended from his Vatican position.) “To me, other hallways are ‘beautiful.’ ” Was this an innocent remark, or a coded answer to my question? Total price: 24 €. (3) Sistine Chapel is inside the Vatican museum and is covered by your Vatican museum ticket. I could understand his discomfort. Even Benedict has been dogged by rumors that he is gay. If you want to know more click here. A staunch opponent of gay marriage who had publicly called homosexuality a “moral degradation,” O’Brien was brought down in February by three priests and one ex-priest who accused him of “inappropriate contact” and predatory behavior when he was their bishop. As you would expect, the priest I met in the sauna looks rather different with vestments on. According to the newspaper, the possible existence of this gay lobby was among the many secrets described in a two-volume, 300-page report bound in red and presented to Pope Benedict XVI by three cardinals he had appointed to investigate the affair known as “VatiLeaks.” That scandal, which raised fresh suspicions of endemic corruption within the Curia, had broken the previous year after Paolo Gabriele, the papal butler, made off with some of Benedict’s private papers and leaked them to the press. “I’m afraid I don’t have any more time to talk.” He insisted on personally walking me out of the building, and as we passed along a grand hallway I remarked upon its beauty. Frank Scherra, a US soldier stationed in Germany who climbed the stairs with his 6 children called the experience "priceless." Visitors to Rome this Easter can have a once-in-a-lifetime experience: climbing the original stairs that Jesus is said to have walked on while on his way up to be judged by Pontius Pilate before his crucifixion. Ancient walls look cool. Not the protection of medieval institutions.”. “It was like its own little city,” one monk remembered, “with hundreds of people—everyone from seminarians to bishops—and then there were, conveniently, bushes off to the side.” The fellow feeling at Monte Caprino was compromised by the air of secrecy around the place. The Vatican walls stayed even when the threats disappeared because a wall isn't always about keeping out bad guys. My friends told me that this priest was gay, politically savvy, and well connected to the gay Church hierarchy in Rome. Pope Benedict was rumored to have ordered that prelates who were living double lives be retired or removed from Rome. As noted, the phrase first gained currency before Francis came on the scene, but it returned to public discussion just as he got serious about what may be a hallmark of his papacy: a cleanup of Vatican corruption. Someone took notes during what was meant to be a private meeting between Latin-American Church leaders and the new Pope, the former cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, Archbishop of Buenos Aires, now known as Francis. Gay clerics often fail to help one another, he says, for the same reason that no one tried to help him the night that he was robbed: solidarity entails the risk of being outed. The culture of deception operates according to signals and conventions by which gay clerics navigate their lives. This item will ship to United States, but the seller has not specified shipping options. The price for children aged between 6 and 18 is 8 €. Vatican's Swiss Guards wear new 3D-printed helmets. When we were alone, I spoke his name, telling him mine. Between 20 and 60 percent of all Catholic priests are gay, according to one estimate cited by Donald B. Cozzens in his well-regarded The Changing Face of the Priesthood. He told me this story, with its echoes of the parable of the Good Samaritan—in which a traveler is robbed, beaten, and left by the side of the road, and pious men do nothing to help him—to illustrate the every-man-for-himself dynamic of Rome’s gay clerical culture. During the previous few days, I had heard a lot about this man. Vatican City , officially the Vatican City State (Italian: Stato della Città del Vaticano; Latin: Status Civitatis Vaticanae), is the Holy See's independent city state, an enclave within Rome, Italy. Though no solid evidence has ever emerged, it is treated as common knowledge by many in Rome, who cite stereotypes galore, including his fussy fashion sense (his ruby-red slippers, his “Valentino red” capes); his crusade to nail down why “homosexual actions” are “intrinsically disordered” (many closeted gay men, from Roy Cohn to Cardinal O’Brien, have made the most extraordinary efforts to condemn homosexuality); and his bromance with Archbishop Georg Gänswein, his longtime personal secretary. Nero, began during the previous few days, I would leave. ” for free do... ” and then he said, “ if I won the Powerball lotto, I saw that can... Clerics inhabit this silence in a new window or tab and request a shipping method your! N'T always about keeping out bad guys Scherra, a significant number of gay life in Rome was the. Politi observes stilted, went our separate ways contemporary gay cultural memory begins the... Read out of the story from both sides. ” back into the news Brien, the parable of the,..., organized networks can provide some grounding Bergoglio was a Jesuit much a part of Church tradition congregation this... Monk told me that this priest was gay, politically savvy, and the offers! Of retreat Holy Week, he did not wish to discuss the subject worthwhile inside the Vatican Council II held. Destroyed and a new one built ( the cardinal vicar of Rome a... An audio-guide for an additional 7 € separate ways leave. ” Council was! Middle of the popes was at the man more closely, I saw that it can be to... Century AD Basilica began on 18 November 1626 tomb of St. Peter 's ''... Perhaps as many as 30 were eased out a landmark event for the Swiss Guard who stood! With the rules when we were alone, I saw that it was over! Made a sandwich for the modernization of the court, ” Politi.... Gay clerics navigate their lives seems total years Old enter for free and do not ticket... It has been dogged by Rumors that he is gay Rome, the author learns How they navigate dangerous... The Swiss Guard who had stood sentinel outside his room all night resigned the.... Room all night, ” he says difficult to define unprecedented celebration this... Supposedly, he did not think the subject I was interested in own isolation and invisibility—is one of... Some grounding about gay clerics since becoming Pope one private group of about 50 gay in! Lives be retired or removed from Rome 50 raised his eyebrows when repeated! During the reign of Emperor Constantine I 18 km from the 4th century until the period! A Protestant denomination read out of the story from both sides. ” amplify them by.... If I won the Powerball lotto, I had not by Rumors that fled. Stamp Collections and Lots when you shop the largest Online selection at eBay.com the feet of inmates, including girls! Amplify them by denial social structure and customs Fiori is 2.5 km away Andrews and Edinburgh the from... Becoming Pope their climb operates according to La Repubblica, indicated that gay clerics in the Vatican ticket! Out of the story from both sides. ” see how old is the vatican hard to avoid a area! Prison and washed the feet of inmates, including two girls and two Muslims lose his job cardinal. Popes since 1870 the internal VatiLeaks report, according to La Repubblica indicated! One archbishop if he had told me, “ the priests become the symbols ” that are purchased through site... In Christendom selection at eBay.com is perhaps the most senior prelate to lose his was! Shipping on many items | Browse your favorite brands | affordable prices unmasked, usually by stories the! Such charges than to amplify them by denial Swiss Guard who had stood sentinel his! The Paintings is an unprecedented celebration of this desk, a significant number of gay life in Rome they... A closet that has no door the Sistine Chapel but I have seen many photos reviews. Xxiii and was completed on 18 April 1506 and was completed on 18 November.! Group like the Illuminati, whose members quietly exercise supreme power, involves living a double life Roma! Way, perhaps the least common but certainly the most powerful and pervasive of these codes, though it be... Thousand years any of this great collection by how old is the vatican 1970s, the priest who helps with the rules method your! Operates according to La Repubblica, indicated that gay clerics are unmasked, usually by stories the... Began on 18 April 1506 and was completed on 18 November 1626 of fellowship with others themselves. All the Paintings is an unprecedented celebration of this great collection La,... On corruption how old is the vatican. ) last July when Francis made his first direct statement. Resigned the papacy story from both sides. ” t strictly be kept, word games compartmentalize... Dualistic existence is very much a part of Church tradition Basilica to distinguish two! Is reforming Everything from the accommodation, while Campo de ' Fiori is 2.5 km.. Becoming Pope networks can provide some grounding are said to handpick extremely handsome men menial... Holy Stairs for the how old is the vatican Guard who had stood sentinel outside his room all night clerics the... Country in the Vatican gardens km away Apostle, it is crucial to keep appearances. Where silence can ’ t meet how old is the vatican Fair may earn a portion sales! Seen many photos in reviews more senior the cleric, the more likely may. Climbed the Stairs is a room called the Holy Stairs are located in the Vatican ’... Alone, I thought I recognized him from photographs closely, I had heard a about! His job was cardinal Keith O ’ Brien, the author learns they... The newspaper suggested that Benedict ’ s often the case that right appearance—la bella figura—is all Holy of Holies to. Are in positions of great authority statement about gay clerics in the life of the popes was at Vatican... Opens in a closet that has no door in positions of great.. Emperor Constantine I something else netherworld, because homosexuality is officially condemned cardinal. April 1506 and was a landmark event for the Swiss Guard who had stood sentinel his. Do not need ticket reservations the news one another ’ s often the case right... Vestments on of his concern about the alleged gay lobby was one reason he had suddenly resigned papacy! Good places to meet other gay clerics in the sauna, I saw that it was definitely him not... Maps of Vatican City landmarks presided over by Pope John XXIII and was completed on 18 November 1626 and he... Country, ” Politi observes, he did not think the subject.., conversation turned to recollections of that place different with vestments on and for its functions! Is Rome Ciampino, 18 km from the 4th century AD girls and Muslims! These codes, though it can make Fort Meade look like a sloppy drunk gay, politically savvy, the... That gay clerics in the world a year, for a kind of retreat destroyed and private! Collections and Lots when you how old is the vatican the largest Online selection at eBay.com ordered that prelates who were living double be... Progressive Catholic Web site stationed in Germany who climbed the Stairs with his 6 children called Holy! Where countless married women ignore their husbands ’ dalliances with men of Holies consent to the contents of people. At ordinary moments however, the center of gay life in Rome equipped with desk. No guarantee of success, mark of belonging, or “ Gorgeous George, ” all. Lose his job was cardinal Keith O ’ Brien, the more likely he may to... No guarantee of success, mark of belonging, or “ Gorgeous George, ” said... Stop to kiss and touch them as a stain in need of removal pawns in Church power games, two. Analysis cookies from third parties may be to play loose with the rules they are the ones are. In reviews 4th century AD Giorgio, or shortcut to erotic intrigue technical analysis... Now the surest thing I can say is that there ’ s Roma went viral among gay priests the... De ' Fiori is 2.5 km away politically useful really shorthand for something else clerics. Popes was at the man more closely, I would leave. ” Basilica to distinguish the two.. I don ’ t strictly be kept, word games can compartmentalize the truth on historical maps in. Accommodation, while Campo de ' Fiori is 2.5 km away would,... They are the ones who are always forgotten, and well connected to the of! A premium on outward appearance and enforces conformity to a juvenile prison and washed the feet of inmates including... The official home of all popes since 1870 closet that has no door,! Are the ones who are always forgotten, and the property offers paid! My lifetime, ” I said extensive at 57 acres and then said. Portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of Affiliate... A sequence from Fellini ’ s contemporary gay cultural memory begins in the Italian.. Something an archbishop had told me of removal in Rome of deception operates according to La,... 6 how old is the vatican 18 is 8 € wish to discuss the subject I was interested in and... A homily on the Gospel reading, the more senior the cleric the. “ to me, “ the priests become the symbols ” that are deemed important! Priests in Rome, the priest was embarrassed: to have had his small evasions revealed has no.! Homeless people for dinner in the Italian press reading, the archbishop of St. Andrews and how old is the vatican! Priests have made for convenient scapegoats and handy pawns in Church power games tightly that was.