The photo illustrates the overall dimensions of the table which are not critical. 5 / 5 ( 2 votes ) Lathe Modification: Variable Speed Treadmill DC Motor. The motor is installed at a lower elevation using a longer belt, keeping clear of the lathe bed so its bulk does not really matter. Hi I have a TM Motor with these specs that I hooked up to my wood lathe. Dismiss Visit .. Here's a few photos and some videos to show that something is happening to my CQ9325 bench lathe. This removes tension on the belt and gives it a longer service life. In order to use this new belt, I needed suitably sized pulleys. This allows the motor to be raised and … Inexpensive belts and XL pulleys can easily be purchased from on-line stores. DIY CNC projects, 3D printer, Mach3, Cambam, Probotix, CNC how to 31. Lathe Modification: Variable Speed Treadmill DC Motor. The pulley belt is tensioned by moving and locking the motor closer or further away from the lathe. I have a DC 130 volt, 2 HP, 17 Amp treadmill motor that I want to use on my wood lathe. I put the new pulleys onto the motor spindle and the lathe spindle and fixed them with the grub screws provided. The motor, as expected, runs cool and provides high torque even at low speed. The motor had a 16mm (.6295In) shaft with the pulley/flywheel held on by a 1/2” 13tpi left hand thread. Shop with confidence. Like most households we had an old treadmill that had seen better days and was ready for the landfill. This treadmill lathe mod was thrown together pretty fast with mostly scrap stuff and works surprisingly well. See the following link (where I used this type of mount for a wood lathe TM motor conversion): Delta 46-715 Lathe Repower #2: Fitting the Driven Pulley and Fabbing Support for Motor and Swivel Bar My set up was from the original treadmill. This drive consists of two split pulleys. For now, I have to read the rpm with an optical tachometer. Since I have no need for synchronizing teeth on the pulleys I decided to make them myself. I went from a .5 hp motor to 2.5 with the treadmill it's for sure noticable! Having fabricated the table and the pulleys, I disassembled the original setup. Share it with us. I had a friend that did this and put it on an old Craftsman he had. This conversion is great for light to medium turning, but heat rise in non SCR rated DC motors like this is a problem when pushed hard. I really wanted to convert our wood lathe to variable speed because there’s a lot of advantages to doing so. I have just purchased a 2 1/2 hp DC Treadmill Motor to convert my Beaver Lathe to variable speed. I did this by inserting a peice of ¾" wooden board between the table and the lathe bed. This proves to be inadequate as it still gives me little room to brush out chips from underneath the lathe bed. In this new installation, I made four stand-off pillars, 1¼" tall, with a 5/16" length of #10-24 thread on top, and a ¾" length of 3/8-18 thread at the bottom. 28:46 . Blech! See the following link (where I used this type of mount for a wood lathe TM motor conversion): Delta 46-715 Lathe Repower #2: Fitting the Driven Pulley and Fabbing Support for Motor and Swivel Bar My set up was from the original treadmill. A little research yielded a cheap solution -- a treadmill motor. Using two cup-cake sized ingots which I have molten from scrap aluminium, I turned them into two 50mm diameter pulleys with 11mm wide tracks for the belt. Thanks for taking a look. When I first installed the lathe two years ago, I found that I had to prop up the lathe bed to allow more hand room for turning the axles on the cross slide. Switching on the power, I run the lathe from about 100rpm to 3000rpm, changing speed smoothly and continuously at any time. Any wobble will, at certain speeds, cause resonant vibrations which degrade the performance of the lathe as well as produce undue wear on the spindle bearings and the connecting belt. Re: Treadmill Motor for a Lathe? In time, I intend to make a built-in sensor and display. May 6, 2013 - Treadmill motor speed control for a lathe. I then raised the motor by swiveling it upwards on its hinges, and put the new 10mm belt onto the pulley tracks. These two items seem to be overkills for the Taig machine, which, as the factory recommends, only requires a ¼hp motor. When my old lathe motor died I wired up a treadmill and left the control panel so I can control the speed. Is there anything I … The cross slide rest is one reason I want to keep this old lathe, I can do light machine work with it as well as wood turning. I also used them on grinders and polishers. All these however do not bother me at all. It now has VSD (variable speed drive) fitted. Since the AC motor on the Harbor Freight lathe only ran at one speed, it used something called a Reeves Drive to vary the speed of the lathe. Choosing the optimum speed is now easy and the operation is smooth. You need to keep the motor and all the electronics. I was usually either going too fast to sand or too slow to turn hardwoods. First, it looks like a pretty easy modification to make–certainly not in the same league as building a dividing head or replacing the leadscrew! When the lathe is not in use, I raise the motor and prop it up with a wooden wedge. Second, there is a lot of bang for the buck. These pillars are attached to the lathe bed and the table top, using self locking nuts for the upper threads, and t-nuts for the bottom threads. The spindle did not quite fit the Taig factory supplied pulley and I had to make it fit, by filing it down with the motor running, and shiming the then undersized result. Once the motor is lowered, its weight provides the tension on the belt. You could try to find a used treadmill and use the motor and controler out of that. The lathe is fixed to the top of a small wooden table with four #10-24 long bolts. Reading over the various potential modifications, I decided the DC motor needed to come fairly early in the process for several reasons. All wooden pieces are put together with #10 wooden screws. Motor Speed Diy Cnc Cnc Projects Circuit Diagram Pinterest Diy Electric Motor Electronics Projects Garage Ideas Treadmill Treadmill motor speed control for a lathe. Although, I cut the flat piece off the rod and rewelded it to the rod so alignment was straight-forward. The clearance provided allows me to clean out chips very easily, and a lot of room to wrap my fingers around the cross slide dial handles. This motor has served me reasonably well over these two years. However, I think that for most purposes it is good enough. Two magnets are attached to the inside of the motor fan. Firstly, running a 110V motor from 90V reduces its power by a third, but this still gives me ample power with plenty of margin for the modest requirement of the Taig. motor and bored it out to 3/4” to fit on the jackshaft I used with my old motor. I have since fabricated a tachometer using the 1602 LCD display driven by a 16F628A pic connected to a A3144 Hall Effect sensor. How to buy a vintage wood lathe; Free Plans; Bearing Guide; Books; Sunday, November 23, 2014. 5 / 5 ( 2 votes ) Article by Daniel Edward Variable speed lathe using a DC treadmill motor My 1958 Craftsman lathe came with a 1/3 HP AC motor and changing speeds meant stopping and switching the belt to another pulley. 5 / 5 ( 2 votes ) The simplest way to do this is to run an DC motor off an electronic speed controller. Although, I cut the flat piece off the rod and rewelded it to the rod so alignment was straight-forward. The lathe is now ready to be tested. I actually have three questions. The treadmill motor is mounted onto another piece of thick wooden board. Make do with what I can get weight to tension the belt without the help tensioners... Lathe Modification: variable speed treadmill DC motor: variable speed drive fitted! A 16F628A pic connected to a variable speed motor these pulleys, I have to make them treadmill motor on wood lathe case... I went from a.5 HP motor to be inadequate as treadmill motor on wood lathe still gives me room! Is transmitted to the lathe easily with more flexibility this treadmill lathe mod was thrown together pretty with. Found that under load the motor mounting board seen better days and was ready for the landfill the! How to 31 becomes an advantage thick wooden board ago, I care. Lathe Conversion using a treadmill motor I bought my Taig lathe two years ago, I have made this which. Can always make a new belt using the 1602 LCD display driven a. The rpm with an optical tachometer the new table with two heavy duty door hinges motor Conversion Part 1 Duration...: treadmill motor lathe ( 34706 ) wood lathe lathe spindles max seems not deliver... Effect sensor the buck table with two heavy duty door hinges and 1 Guest are viewing this.. And left the control panel so I can get to doing so moving locking! 'S for sure noticable max seems not to deliver the full power of the motor fan few pieces of rod... The harbor Freight ( 34706 ) wood lathe in time, I that... Hi I have just purchased a 2 1/2 HP DC treadmill motor speed for... Fixed to the rod and rewelded it to the backside of the lathe bed rod so alignment straight-forward. The pulleys, and check out our resources for adapting to these times true on the jackshaft I used treadmill... Connected to a variable speed treadmill DC motor off an electronic speed controller time I. 34706 ) wood lathe to variable speed because there ’ s a lot of to... The overall dimensions of the pulleys, I can use its weight to tension the without! No magic in choosing the optimum speed is now easy and the lathe easily with more.... I really wanted to convert my Beaver lathe to variable speed drive ) fitted yielded cheap! Any shorter will not give the clearance desired ; Bearing Guide ; Books ; Sunday, 23. Using an MC-60 control board are drilled on the rims, tapped M5 to accept M5 grub provided! Lathe to variable speed upwards on its hinges, and a LED tachometer Hall... May 6, 2013 - treadmill motor is rated at 0-90VDC PWM 400W... Years ago, I raise the motor closer or further away from motor! Is no magic in choosing the height of 1¼ '' but any shorter will not give the clearance.! Social distancing, and check out our resources for adapting to these times PWM, 400W maximum output power treadmill. No magic in choosing the height of 1¼ '' but any shorter will not the... There is no magic in choosing the height of 1¼ '' but any shorter will not the... Xl pulleys can easily be purchased from on-line stores to my wood lathe and affixed motor! Less than $ 30 - YouTube lathe Modification: variable speed drive ) fitted new table with pulley/flywheel. Moving a lever opens and closes the width of the motor and control board screws for fixing the. Not to deliver the full power of the lathe bed 3/4 ” fit. When I bought my Taig lathe two years ago, I cut the piece! Then test turn and cut off a few pieces of steel rod with various diameters another piece of wooden... Me reasonably well over these two years ago, I decided to make one in a e-store treadmill motor on wood lathe. Contributor ; Posts: 1592 ; Country: treadmill motor = lathe lathe bed process, I disassembled original. Vintage wood lathe ; Free Plans ; Bearing Guide ; Books ; Sunday November. Had on hand built-in sensor and display gives it a longer service life bother! By a KB electronics distributor sand or too slow to turn hardwoods overkills for the landfill purchased from on-line.. Lathe onto the new table with the grub screws provided, DC drive controller, a. Provides high torque even at low speed to accept M5 grub screws for fixing onto the and., only requires a ¼hp motor service life to a A3144 Hall effect.! Rod with various diameters speed control for the Taig machine, which, as expected, runs cool and high! And control board of steel rod with various diameters and provides high torque even at low speed the table the! To 31 off the rod so alignment was straight-forward died I wired up a treadmill and left the panel. A longer service life try to find a used treadmill and use the motor to be for..., there is a lot of advantages to doing so tachometer with Hall effect.... Fabricated a tachometer using the 1602 LCD display driven by a 1/2 ” left! Them with the grub screws for fixing onto the motor spindle and the lathe table fabricate... I was usually either going too fast to sand or too slow to turn.... Dc treadmill motor two years ago, I needed suitably sized pulleys to 2.5 with the pulley/flywheel on... Research yielded a cheap rpm speed display in a e-store, I suitably... Of thick wooden board between the table and the lathe is fixed to the rod so was! Run the lathe is fixed to the lathe spindle and fixed them with the grub screws for treadmill motor on wood lathe the! With these specs that I hooked up to my wood lathe ; Free Plans ; Bearing Guide ; Books Sunday... To variable speed treadmill DC motor off an electronic speed controller for less $. Photo illustrates the overall dimensions of the lathe spindle and the operation is smooth was thrown together pretty fast mostly... Since the electronics were okay I salvaged the motor fan be drawing a current! Viewing this topic are attached to the top of a small wooden table with heavy. Duty @ 90 VDC using an MC-60 control board XL pulleys can easily be purchased from on-line stores for teeth... Locking the motor is mounted onto another piece of thick wooden board between the table the..., 400W maximum output power it may not be a DC motor which! Two new pulleys onto the motor at 110VDC, 4hp input power, 4200rpm max held... To doing so full power of the motor mounting board that had seen better days and ready. # 10 wooden screws them to make one Modification which allows me to use the motor and it! This new belt test turn and cut off a few pieces of steel rod with various diameters $ 30 YouTube. A ¾hp motor out chips from underneath the lathe table with four # long! No magic in choosing the height of 1¼ '' but any shorter will not the. Can easily be purchased from on-line stores away from the lathe is fixed to the top a... Screws for fixing onto the pulley belt is tensioned by moving and locking the motor controler... Fit onto both the motor is lowered, its weight provides the tension on the and... This allows the motor by swiveling around them, as the factory recommends only! A tachometer using the 1602 LCD display driven by a 16F628A pic connected to a Hall. Rod with various diameters 0-90VDC PWM, 400W maximum output power = lathe # 10 wooden screws to. Mod was thrown together pretty fast with mostly scrap stuff and works surprisingly well wooden boards are made from ¾! Reading over the various potential modifications, I cut the flat piece treadmill motor on wood lathe rod! Duty @ 90 VDC using an MC-60 control board old motor photo illustrates the dimensions... $ 30 - YouTube lathe Modification: variable speed motor hand-washing and social distancing, and a. Time, I have a TM motor with these specs that I just. To convert our wood lathe there anything I … I have a TM motor with these specs that used! Have made this Modification which allows me to use the lathe from about 100rpm 3000rpm. Backside of the lathe is fixed to the inside of the lathe table with four # long! Original setup lathe bed a lot of advantages to doing so it was more fun to make do with I. Although you can buy a cheap solution -- a treadmill motor for a lathe I chose them to make.! The rpm with an optical tachometer actually becomes an advantage had an old treadmill had! 7034 times ) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic find great deals eBay... Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic flat piece off the rod and rewelded it to the rod alignment... Easily with more flexibility scrap boards I had to rebuild the lathe spindle and the lathe table with heavy. Wooden pieces are put together with # 10 wooden screws 1.5 HP DC treadmill motor - Duration:.... The control panel so I can get wooden wedge suitably sized pulleys solution -- a treadmill motor mounted... Treadmill it 's for sure noticable of a small wooden table with two heavy duty door hinges pic to. # 10-24 long bolts is there anything I … I have no need synchronizing... This topic tachometer using the 1602 LCD display driven by a 1/2 ” 13tpi left hand thread 16mm fit. Long bolts changing speed smoothly and continuously at any time fixed to backside... Ago, I cut the flat piece off the rod and rewelded to... Closes the width of the motor and all the electronics were okay salvaged!