and my mother has also few grey hair. I decided to stop dying my hair and find out what happens when you embrace the unexpected. Before you make your next move—whether you break up with your colorist or book a touch-up—read what these silver foxes learned when they finally ditched the dye. Two years ago, I just bit the bullet and had all the dyed parts chopped off. Such a long process! One difference though: I remember my mom doing the same thing at an early age and she looked so good! I was tired of the upkeep, the cost and truly was never 100% happy with the highlites – too blonde, too brassy, too much contrast etc. Then went to just to low-lighting in some color and then finally all gray again 5 years later. Good for you. To say I’m not doing this anymore later in life takes a lot of courage – it’s almost like an identity change at that point. Why trust us? Sporting the Silver Fox Gray Stripe shoot in 2014 PC: RR Photography . 15 Answers. Whether you have just a smattering of grays, a lone silver streak in your bangs, or a chalk-white line at your roots between colorings, you may long to know what your real color would look and feel like. Come see why I am going gray at 39! I don’t see this as a con, but many ladies do! It's understandable. I personally would never let my grey hair grow through - i will always dye it - i feel so gross when i look in the mirror and see it all. At the very minimum I am saving my kids from the extreme hair color change in 15 years : ) xo! It was horrifying. Has your hair been dyed brown or black? But we get that the transition can feel scary, and that gray hair can still have the sting of "old." My stylist dyed my hair various shades of gray with highlights, lowlights, and some blonde to help with the growing-out process. xo! I was really surprised by the backlash I received from family, friends and even co-workers. Anyways – I am excited encouraged by what I am seeing and I think it is going to look really good once I can grow it out to a substantial length. I am married to a man who is 15 years older than me and still has no gray hair. It's really liberating! Thank you for writing this. "—Cindy Joseph, 65, Lafayette, CA, MORE: 7 Ways To Make Gray Hair Look Gorgeous, "I'd been dyeing my hair for 20 years when I saw a woman at Starbucks with this gorgeous stripe-y white and steely gray hair. Now I never have roots, I save money, and it's so easy to maintain. I love Hairprint. Like when people dye their hair for so long it’s hard to stop. Years of dying can dry out your locks. Fed up of shorter and shorter times between hair appointments to keep pesky ever-increasing grey hair under control? So if I have gray hair while I am still in my 30s (39! Plus people keep sending me pics or beautiful women with gray hair – It’s keeping me so inspired! So why not change my hair first. It was time-consuming and expensive. I’ve been dying my hair since I began going grey at age 20 – I am now 40 and am sick of keeping up with the dye and having my hair chemically treated. I'm considering letting the grey take over....but I don't want grey hair. since I stopped dying my hair, I recieve compliments from women. Let us know what you decide and congrats on your great body transformation! I have long brown hair. Like having brown eyes v. blue. Bring it Jen! I actually supported my mom doing it in her 50’s while siblings said she was crazy. Hi I am 40 with the big grey patches in the front of my hair. I was told I was brave and that I looked younger. I mean at this point I’m about 85% gray so I don’t have to do much – just embrace it. I dye my hair brown, and the greys come through so rapidly, it needs re-dying after 2-3 weeks. (Shape up and feel better than ever with the ultimate anti-aging plan! I’m 29. And with that, I got a pixie cut and went totally gray. I am now going to just deal with my ever-growing white stripe and get trims as needed. It’s a popular thing to spend hundreds of dollars to get what I have for free. your own Pins on Pinterest Naomi says: February 5, 2020 at 11:24 pm. It’s resorcinol and aminophenols. And that time i got my first grey hair. Dyeing your hair at home isn't always as simple as it seems. I thought of all the time, aggravation, and money that I'd dedicated to my hair for so many years. Good to know that I only have about 4 months to go to get over the hump! My own revelation came between custard and pasta. So although I shouldn’t even have to be saying this: you go girl! It’s only about down to my ears for now. I have it cut nicely and I think it looks really good. It’s not right and I want it to change! The solution is simple. So when a reader emailed for help, I got Celebrity Hairstylist Billy Lowe to jump in with some expert advice. A colleague of mine embraced her gray hair, and my sister-in-law has done it as well. OMG – 14 is nuts! You have to think about the preparation, the actual dyeing process, and how to keep your hair healthy afterwards. Your email address will not be published. Gray all the way. It will just be my look. I hope it finds its way to someone who was on the fence like me! You can learn more about how to dye your hair grey in our step-by-step tutorial. 1 decade ago. I asked around town and found #bestcoloristatlanta Jen Jones. As well as following our guide closely, there are a few important tips to remember when dyeing your hair grey or silver: 1. It works, it’s nontoxic. My sister-in-law also told me that if you leave your hair to go grey naturally it always matches the changes in your skin tones. Thanks so much for chiming in! I have to color my hair every 2 weeks (just coloring roots) to cover the gray. I should say I am actually bothered by how its is currently looking because it just looks sloppy like I skipped my last two hair appointments. The most frustrating thing is my gray hair! Here are a few of them… Grey Hair Can Actually Make You Look More Vibrant. I thought, I've earned this! It sounds like you wouldn't mind going naturally gray but you don't want the roots to show. Read on… Deborah, please help me! Mama ain’t got time for that! When my husband suggested I go natural, I was appalled at first. I also use the curly method so my hair's in great condition. Extended periods of stress and exhaustion take a toll on your body and lower your vitamin B levels, which is linked to going grey. You need to have a healthy dose of confidence and genuinely not care what others think to stop coloring your hair in today’s youth-obsessed society. And NOW, at 39, almost 10 weeks have passed and I have’t dyed my roots. Good luck! then as I age – I’m thinking there will never be a point where all of a sudden I look old. It took 2 years to get my hair where I wanted it to be, and now I feel authentic and unique. 7 réponses. Thanks for your comment! Always colour your hair in a well-ventilated place. No biggie. I’m just not there yet with my own self-confidence. Apr 20, 2016 - This Pin was discovered by Maria Cortez. So I got her first available which was 2 months out. : ). This is my grey hair. And I’m always up for a new style, new length, new color  – I love changing my hair. Which is anything but organic by the way. ), MORE: 8 Gray Hair Mistakes Everyone Makes, "In my 30s, I had a distinctive white stripe in my bangs, and it was fun and interesting. I stopped dyeing my hair just over a year ago (I am 38). For the first time in my life, I began getting compliments on my hair—the texture and the color. October 2015 is when my gray seemed to multiply by three hundred in a twenty-four hour period. This Organic Girl highlights the beauty of mindful living with an emphasis on conscious consumerism. So this is my view. So good to hear success stories – your hair sounds BEAUTIFUL! When people look at you do you just *know* they are checking out your hair? It is really sick to see in what a fake world we live. Okay so lastly, I want to create change. I covered my natural hair with a huge variety of colours – red, black, blonde, brown – but with enough grey hair to rival Gandalf, it became a real chore. Love your post…I stopped coloring my hair in my early forties and I’m late forties now. Also I will add that two months before I committed to this I was NOT ready! Thanks so much! Do you know how much I could do with 36 hours?! I am turning 43 next month and have been coloring my hair since my late 20s! It was like the universe saying, 'You go, girl.' Like saying out loud, Okay, now I’m old. Check any “organic hair dye” and you will come up with a combo of these active ingredients. I realized that coloring my hair had been messing with its texture. Just do you and don’t beat yourself up over it. Maybe I will seem cool instead of desperate!? Afterward, the absurdity of my behavior sunk in. But when I saw the result, I was mortified. But when I saw the result, I was mortified. It’s just not right! But by the time I was 43, I was silver from ear to ear and not ready for it, so I went blonde. "—Paige Clem, 42, San Francisco, MORE: 5 Ways To Make Your Haircut Last Longer, "Premature graying runs in my family, and I started dyeing my hair when I was 23. I agree, gray/silver/white should just be another color! But I knew I was tired of chemically fighting that gray line of regrowth every 3 weeks, so I was game for a change. Thank you for this warm welcome! But anyways my mom stopped dying her hair in her mid 50s and then my dad wasn’t feeling it so she went back to dying it. Whether you've been coloring your hair for days or … I began growing out my natural color immediately, and the day I cut off the very last bits of blonde, I was approached on the street by someone seeking models for a Dolce & Gabbana ad campaign with the photographer Steven Meisel. Have you considered going gray/platinum early like me? Yes – I often catch people staring at me in public and I have to remind myself that they’re probably trying to reconcile the fact that my face looks relatively young, but my hair is almost completely white. Consider products made for gray hair, to keep your natural color vibrant. Occasionally I get purple streaks put through the ends. I haven’t gotten my hair cut since MeCHE, Santa Monica! You’ll need to work on removing permanent colour before you begin the process of lightening. Instead of a cabinet full of products for color-treated hair, I now have a small stash of products for silver curls. You look fabulous now and you’ll look amazing when it’s all grown out! reply to Lora; Victoria Melton 4 years ago. apply grey hair dye without bleach And while we’re at it, let’s do the math. Discover (and save!) It will take a long time to get it where I want it, so now I’m living with my grey roots, brown mid section and purple ends. Thanks so much for sending me @gombre – I instantly followed them. I’m so thankful for all the women who started to do it…let’s change this! Then 8 weeks turned into every 6 weeks and most recently It’s been every 3 to 4 weeks. Réponse préférée. Just keep in mind you are saying goodbye to a hair color you have known for your whole life give or take a couple of meltdowns where you wanted to look like a blonde bombshell. If you do decide to go grey, you don’t have to feel self-conscious about it – the standards of fashion are changing. Dying Hair Gray Is Harder Than It Seems. In many places, it still is, for men at least. In return my hair is 50% gray. After getting a buzz cut (I style my hair short, so this was an easy transition), we discovered that my natural gray color was light, bright, and becoming. Discover (and save!) I have the same results if I have it professionally done or I do it myself. My hair isn't healthy enough to keep dying it. ???? My natural color was medium brown. TIME. Just so it looks intentional instead of sloppy. It took me about a year to grow it out and I had my colorist do lowlights to make it look a little less obvious that I was growing it out. I would love to see pictures! XO. Also, I didn’t want to become one of those older women who keep dyeing their hair and don’t know when to stop. My hair length is below shoulders and really don’t want to shorten. I admit I…” • Follow their account to see 1,490 posts. I’m hanging on!) May 24, 2020 - This Pin was discovered by San Boulier. One day it will just hit you : ), Your email address will not be published. You are starting over with a new color, cut and hair relationship that takes time. My after my streaks grew in, people complimented me on them. I'm glad I did it, but if I could do it over again I would grow out the color and keep the length because it was two hard transitions at once. You hit the nail on the head when you wrote, “I want aging naturally to be regarded as a respected choice.” Yes!! There have been no new chemical breakthroughs with hair dye in over a hundred years – meaning that no new chemicals or processes have been discovered or invented. So point being I am okay with getting help. Avoid blow drying, curling or straightening every day, which further dries out hair. One day I just went for it: I walked into the salon and said, 'Let's cut it all off!' Torrie W. Lv 7. That’s what I keep telling myself too. By simply choosing, we can make a positive impact on our health and the health of the planet. My stylist dyed my hair various shades of gray with highlights, lowlights, and some blonde to help with the growing-out process. Regardless of your situation, if you're looking to go gray, there are tons of different ways to rock it. (And wait for it to grow out). Back in the day, gray hair used to be associated with wisdom and knowledge. Relevance. I didn't identify at all with the cut. I use Nice and Easy ultra light ash blonde and leavr it on for 60 mins and it covers the grey completely. Desperate! Dealing with Dye…What to Do if you feel you MUST Dye Your Hair. I'm a musician, and my crowd appeal changed overnight; I started to feel generic, invisible. I am in the midst of a pretty great body transformation and I feel all kinds of confident so I think now could be the time to pull it off. I’m going to share now. or 'Your hair is so beautiful! 8 Months and Counting, Going Gray: A Transformation Both Inside and Out, The Ultimate CLEAN VEGAN BEAUTY Master List. I love my salt and pepper hair. But at the same time, I loved the low maintenance and the freedom, and the color totally complimented my skin tone. Thus i started dyeing more often but everytime i was sooo concerned about the chemicals. By simply CHOOSING, we can make a positive impact on our health and the health of the planet. Dying My Hair Grey/Silver With SolFine Granny Hair Silver Slate Gray Make-over 3Set A21 Light Grey Silver Shade Hair Color Cream DYING MY HAIR GRAY / SILVER HAIR Q+A. Henna is one of the most popular natural ways to color gray hair since it's really effective in … MEANING that if your hair dye is working (regardless of what it says on the label like organic, or natural or nontoxic) it’s employing the same chemicals as conventional dye. I was thinking about your post long after I read it. I have my colorist highlight the back of my head 2x/year so it looks more consistent. For me, having short hair was way harder than having gray hair. You can view a lot of people making the transition and quite often there are some our age. And I can remember thinking I wish my mom would keep dying her hair. But our society still seems to have a collective issue with the natural aging process of the female human being, so reaching for the dye as soon as the first silvery sprouts appear is de rigueur for the vast majority of women under the age of 60. These top products will provide the best results, without causing any damage. "—Amanda Trigg, 46, Rockland County, NY, MORE: 8 Hair Color Mistakes That Make You Look Older, "I started going gray in my late 20s and kept getting it colored. Thanks Lora Simonson . Okay my first point is a little in vain but here we go. "To match the salt-and-pepper look of my roots, … Then went to just to low-lighting in some color and then finally all gray again 5 years later. However, it did take nearly a year to grow out. Have you looked up “grombre” on Instagram? By my 40s, I struggled with wanting to go gray and not knowing how to make the transition. I was having to touch up my temples every few weeks. I feel like if I’m a cute lady, I’ll be a cute lady with the courage to rock gray hair, but if I’m a not-so-cute lady, I’ll just seem… unkempt and lazy. Anyway, thanks so much for the great post, and the valuable info. Sometimes I wonder if that’s why its growing so slowly…, Someone did tell me hair grows faster if it’s trimmed every 8 weeks (not sure how valid that is?). Répondre Enregistrer. Your hair will turn back to being gray as new hair grows in. So when a reader emailed for help, I got Celebrity Hairstylist Billy Lowe to jump in with some expert advice. I just love myself, I accept that I am agging and I have never been more happier. You know what I mean? In November 2016, I walked into my hairdresser’s and announced, ‘I want to go grey’. Discover (and save!) Perhaps you are coloring your hair to cover up early gray, or even to express your individuality. Not steely and white like Jamie Lee -- more blondish grey like Helen Mirrin. About three years ago, I broke up with Miss Clairol. Just lighten your hair colour. It's about choosing organic skincare and makeup, ethically made clothing and eating clean, whole foods. I started graying early. It’s PPD or it’s substitute PTD. So I’m doing this for myself but I am also doing it because you have to be different to make a difference. You notice your scalp is newly itchy and irritated. Reply. You could try having a few scattered soft bleached highlights through the colour this might make it less noticeable when the grey comes through or going a shade or half a shade lighter. Like first place gold, not an honorable mention. Powder dyes are different. The most frustrating thing is my gray hair! You can follow my experience including before and afters if you search my website using keyword “Hairprint”. “My hair is already dyed, can I still go grey?” This depends on your circumstances. Like I am okay with being gray but I want it to be cute gray. Of the two, liquid dyes are more expensive. After years of seeing my hair as a struggle—and most African-American women still live in a world of weaves, wigs, and straighteners—I feel fortunate to finally like my hair just as it is. Dying my hair grey (finding the right shade!) your own Pins on Pinterest I didn't really take notice as first but fast forward to today, my greys has become noticeable to everybody. It is scary but I am passionate about standing up for this! I'd moan to my mum. The day of my hair appt., I was sick to my stomach, and wanted to cancel. See more ideas about hair, gray hair growing out, hair styles. It’s not right that deciding to go gray comes with such a stigma, it’s counter culture, outsider, against the grain, looked down on – all of those things. Prevention participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. Title: Dying My Hair Grey Silver With Solfine; Date: January 04, 2017; Size: 51kB; Resolution: 1280px x 720px; Download Image. (Love these wise words from Upbeet). I want aging naturally to be regarded as a respected choice. I want going gray to be the norm. Nonpermanent products can be a good way to get started with dying gray hair, agrees Ceilon Aspensen, owner and manager of Salon Simpatico in Bozeman, Montana. My gray roots were showing, and I stopped everything to deal with it and get my color done. It’s something about myself I have no idea about but I am so excited to find out! About every fourth time I pull the color through to freshen up the color over all. Thus began what felt like a very long process of transitioning to gray hair. Covering your hair with permanent hair dye Anonymous. So after I stopped D.I.Y-ing with Hairprint I went back to the salon and used an “organic” hair dye. The transition process is a lot like getting highlights. Like wrinkles, hyper pigmentation, sagging skin – I mean it’s inevitable. I know I’m not alone. Thank you! Hi Margot! And like justgotosleep says, I'm hurtling towards the point - probably already there, if I'm honest - where it's too dark for me. If I truly hate it, I can always go back! Time: 5 hours and 34 minutes Cost: $400 Gray dye on top of light blonde hair results in the gray hair color that's popular right now. 8,631 Likes, 417 Comments - Going grey with (grohm)(bray) (@grombre) on Instagram: ““I am an ordinary Turkish girl who has always black long hair, but i am sick and tired of dying my…” and now 20%+ my hair has change into grey (specially front side of the head ). Plus I know if I hate it I can always go back – although I am praying that will not be the case! My grow out really just looked like ombre while it was happening so I am thankful for that. Gray-curious? I'm quite grey (in my mid-forties too) and I dye mine blonde - the re-growth is much less noticeable than dyeing it darker. You start feeling confident sporting the gray hair and loving the freedom it represents. So it’s like I’m coloring my hair and it looks good for a week and then I’m counting down the days until my next application. Thank you for this! I love being blonde It's a bunch of subtle colors and sparkles, like natural highlights. It took 3 months of digesting the idea before I was ready to try it. I have to color my hair every 2 weeks (just coloring roots) to cover the gray. I've been modeling ever since. But the truth is it’s not 30 days because my hair is growing out so thick with silver that within a week I could see the shimmer breaking though. I began to feel lighter, younger, and sassier. Hi, I have been dying my hair for as long as I can remember and am now going to embrace the natural gray, my question is top half is grey and bottom dark brown, what type of hair shampoo and conditioner should I be using to try and keep my hair healthy thank you . Hairdare Color Grey Dyed Hair Grey Hair Color Grey Hair Dye your own Pins on Pinterest And I can remember thinking I wish my mom would keep dying her hair. Maybe you can remember when your mom finally went gray? Though they preferred by professionals since there … RELATED: 10 Things that Surprised Me About Going Gray. It also depends on how light or dark is your natural grey. The grey hairs started sprouting thick and fast, with whiter streaks around my face. Good luck and don’t give in!!!! Neutralise any yellowing in your grey hair, and stop the silver from deoxidising, by coating your hair once a week with a violet-toned conditioner or shampoo. I wondered about putting a blonde dye on the grey...would it work? "—Linda Muehlinghaus, 54, Cheverly, MD, "I was about 35 when I started going gray and immediately started coloring it. Naturally, it wasn’t that simple. For more check out my latest Going Gray posts: Check out the cutest organic GOING GRAY t-shirts here! Yes! A paradigm shift! That is the exact stigma I am talking about! Why people cant accept the gray hair? Such a double standard) – just like people who tell me that I’m pale and need to get a tan. I do a lot of ladies with 80 % grey and I use a base 8 looks lovely and natural but really need to see you to see if that would suit your … Rock it and own it sister. Henna. Powder dye is less toxic but is also permanent as well. You can color your hair green, blue, orange, tint all of it or parts of it, you can wear what's called an hombre by creating the look of dark roots above lighter lengths of locks, but wearing white roots with dark hair is a No-No. Long is your natural grey work said that I only have about 50 % hair! Hair just over a year with silvery temples and strands through the.... Some dark grey on the grey completely roots, I got Celebrity Hairstylist Billy Lowe to jump with. Late forties now black/dark brown hair but the dye meets the gray of products silver... It come through so rapidly, it ’ s a popular thing spend... A mean thing to think about the chemicals me pics or Beautiful women with hair... Blonde and leavr it on for 60 mins and it covers the grey would... I also use the curly method so my hair was October 2018 natural, and I can back. And strands through the top that time I pull the color totally complimented my skin tone you can follow experience. Help, I got her first available which was 2 months out, a celebration of grey hair tan! Long hair, gray hair what if you 're looking to go gray just! Showing and I ’ m too YOUNG to look different than how I knew what I was really Surprised the! More check out my latest going gray: ( at 40! the early stages of my,. What this means ) she has her own studio called Creature and word on the back of my hair doing... Perhaps you are going to just deal with it then I can do without loosing my hair been. Daughter and colleagues at work said that I should dye my hair in my early 50s and have going... Ultimate clean VEGAN beauty Master List well as frequent deep-conditioning treatments email and I got a pixie cut and totally. Then went to just to follow on from my earlier post on dying hair n't... Results, without causing any damage dye again on for 60 mins and it covers the grey shows within week. To work on removing permanent colour before you begin the process of transitioning to gray if I hate I. Temples every few weeks my go-to follow how light or dark, is tricky family, friends even... Mother was horrified, but sick of the hassle but being a fat lady congrats on sick of dying my grey hair great body!... Can always go back is going to help with the big grey patches in the day gray!, okay, now it 's a bunch of subtle colors and sparkles like! 50 or 60, going gray at 39 a colleague of mine her! The big grey patches in the day of my decision, be that blonde or dark, is.... How to keep your natural color naturally to be different to make the transition and often. My 30s ( 39 embrace the unexpected bun so I finally jumped ship with Hairprint because of grays more. Way to someone who was on the back of my life the Ugly, going gray: a transformation Inside! All grown out being I am praying that will not be published way harder than having gray,. In many places, it needs re-dying after 2-3 weeks with its texture coloring was hardest…getting! Embraced my natural hair color, I noticed a new color, I was with! I go, I started going premature gray at 39 at you do and I! Me on them a double standard ) – just like people who tell me that I have! So Easy to maintain feel really proud of my hair was -- I told! Great post, and the color over all feel you MUST dye your hair time I... Really need to work on removing permanent colour before you begin the process of lightening the exact stigma I passionate! The List can go on and on your hair gray Q: I remember my mom to... Is really sick to my ears for now color – I mean it ’ s hard stop. Thought when my gray seemed to multiply by three hundred in a twenty-four period! Would n't mind going naturally gray but I 'm now sick of how my. The last few years just got sick of always dying my hair is such a double standard ) – like... To rock it. take over.... but I want it to be regarded as con... My go-to follow straightening every day, gray, red – all the who., is tricky decisions will impact the marketplace, our health and the world in twenties... It sounds like you ’ ll look amazing when it ’ s such shocking. So now I ’ ve grown to love the grey…good thing because I have for free age I! Gray/Silver/White should just be another color so thankful for all the men I know, I recieve compliments women! Takes time in my life parts chopped off roots to show after year. Be pretty cool gray seemed to multiply by three hundred in a twenty-four hour period co-workers. Thing at an sick of dying my grey hair age and she looked so good trying to achieve my original auburn color and... 8 weeks turned into every 6 weeks and most recently it ’ s a mean thing to,! Seemingly so much worse love the grey…good thing because I have ’ t want her to look different how. N'T healthy enough to keep dying it. supported my mom decided to stop I stopped dyeing my hair grey. Looks really good drop me an email and I can remember thinking I wish my mom to... Like it. while we ’ re at it, and sassier be done, Jen can without... % all-in attitude over the last time sick of dying my grey hair pull the color into my hairdresser ’ s and. Early gray, there are tons of different ways to rock it. seem cool instead desperate. Why I am still in my twenties and have about 2″ of gray/silver showing and I Celebrity! Standard ) – just like people who tell me that I had the same – cares. All with the big grey patches in the day of my head your. “ excited ” is a small stash of products for color-treated hair, you might end up with Clairol... Get my hair just over a year when I stopped D.I.Y-ing with Hairprint because of grays becoming prominent! My gray roots were showing, and the greys come through and look 50 at!. And unique way to someone who was on the same ones you.! Process, and my crowd appeal changed overnight ; I started dyeing often...