I have four, as well as four closely related species (Y. ridigda, Y. linearifolia, Y. thompsoniana), and could easily create a garden featuring them as focal points. You can cut these leaves away as desired. Pruning . While pruning is not required for yucca plants, it helps the plant stay in great health all year. Yucca plants develop a “skirt” of lower leaves much like palms trees. Yucca rostrata Engelmann ex Trelease, in Mo. Like all things about yucca plants, care and pruning is very easy. Capable of growing a stout trunk up to 14 feet tall with a striking blue-green hued, dense crown of narrow, 2 foot long, sharp tipped leaves. Big Bend yucca (Yucca rostrata), also known as beaked yucca, is a tree-like type of yucca with blue-green, lance-shaped leaves and tall, bell-shaped blooms that rise above the plant in summer.Big Bend yucca plants are easy to grow in USDA plant hardiness zones 5 through 10. I love Yucca rostrata. Keep in mind the best time to prune yuccas is in the early spring, so you can also choose to trim your plants then if you'd like. Water well and then you are done with your pruning. Now I see it occasionally in independent nurseries. Botanical name. Cut damaged and dead stems off the yucca plant, removing only the stems displaying noticeable signs of age and/or weakness. While the plants are recovering, continue caring for the yucca plants as you normally would. Beaked Yucca Tree: Yucca rostrata The Beaked Yucca Tree is arguably one of the most beautiful Yuccas that you can grow. 1902. Your pot should easily fit the roots of your plant and have some extra room for it to grow. Photo by Benny Moeller Jensen ©1999-2005. The flower stalk can be pruned off at any time, even before it is done blooming. Branches. You can prune off the dead, brown, and old leaves during spring. Outdoor yucca plants may grow taller and bushier than what is desired for the rest of your landscape, but proper pruning will help you keep your outdoor yucca plants looking neat, healthy and well-tended. Reply Delete. Capable of growing a stout trunk up to 14 feet tall with a striking blue-green hued, dense crown of narrow, 2 foot long, sharp tipped leaves. See more ideas about Yucca, Yucca plant, Rabbit resistant plants. or plant from offsets. This shimmering rosette is mounted atop a tree trunk, which is covered with the soft gray fibers of the old leaves, creating a silver haze. Yucca rostrata is just as unique as its name. Oh, and if you do make cuts into the trunk at all, make sure to apply a fungicide (ground cinnamon works fine, too) and reapply once or twice a week until the wounds have hardened over. Ich habe mir übrigens ganz bewusst drei Exemplare der Naturhybride Yucca rostrata x thompsoniana zugelegt. If you have children or pets, pick a location away from their play area. Prune the yucca plant in the late summer when it has finished blooming and the flowers are dead. With yucca plants, care and pruning are easy. Typically, Yucca plants require little to no care once they have settled and established a root system. Unless the Y. rostrata came from others, and there are many, many large Y. rostrata in those 3 towns to demonstrate this; those consistently do not look like this. Grow Yucca rostrata in well-drained soil in full sun. The Yucca rostrata is a great Mediterranean plant. (see photo) This is the only monocarpic species of Yucca and the flowers are self-fertile. A tree yucca. It was easy to cut the leaves off with a steak knife, you can do lots of leaves at a time and it only took me about 45 minutes, the leaves are thin and pliable so the tips don't stick you. Repot the bottom, rooted end of the trunk. Each are pruned slightly differently. Ornamental shaving of old leaves to reveal the trunk. Wear long-sleeved clothing and gloves to protect yourself. References. Can I just cut them off and not damage the main trunk? Your trunk will easily slice in half with a moderate amount of force. If your yucca plant is getting too big for its pot, you can cut it in half and replant both parts separately. It is native to the deserts of southwest Texas and areas of the Chihuahuan Desert in northern Mexico. Companion Plants for Yuccas . Other yuccas like Y.alifolia,Yucca recurvifolia, Yucca glorious, Yucca filmantosa are better for Austin clay areas.. Pruning . It is one of the most popular specimen Yuccas in Southern California thanks to the striking blue sphere of flat, subtly variegated leaves. Continue caring for the yucca plants as they grow. Easily one of my top 5 plants of all time. Use this moderate-to slow-growing plant for dramatic focal points, in mass groupings, or as an accent in low-water-use landscapes or colder locations. You can also push the shoots straight in the ground and they will usually take and start growing from there. Unlike most plants, where pruning means the cutting of branches and blooms, the yucca is a cane plant, and thus pruning means cutting the trunk. Yucca plants can live in all seasons and many climate zones. You essentially get an additional plant for free if you cut them and replant both! Tree yuccas are tall growing trees that have thick fibrous leaves on the tips of their branches. This will be in early spring. Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips! Wickedly spiked bluish-green leaves form a dense crown of foliage. Yucca plants will shrivel and wrinkle if they do not get enough water. Alternatively, leave the yucca skirt on if you like how it looks, since the lower leaves don’t harm the plant. A yucca plant is a woody, perennial shrub belonging to the Agavaceae family and a native of North America. I have done this successfully. Unlike many desert species, Yucca rostrata isn’t terribly pointy, but the thin, linear leaves are very fibrous and thick, and give a mean cut if not handled properly. Make your cuts as close as possible to the yucca's trunk. Though the leaves have sharp tips, they are flexible and not one of the more dangerous Yuccas. If the top 1–2 inches (2.5–5.1 cm) feel dry, lightly water the plants. The yucca plant is a popular indoor and outdoor plant. Sanitize your pruning tools with rubbing alcohol before and after you use them, as well as when you switch between plants. Purchase a container at a home and garden store. Check the mark on the trunk if you have forgotten which end is which. In fact, many people find that their Yucca plants tend to take over their garden if they fail to trim them back each year. To prune a yucca plant, all you’ll need is a knife or some pruning shears. "I trimmed my outdoor yucca plants as you suggested, and they look great with a healthy look.". Beautiful Yucca rostrata is one of the tree-form species, with long, slender blue-gray leaves that are truly stunning garden architecture. The Yucca rostrata shouldn’t be confused with the Mexican blue yucca (Yucca rigida). Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. In a few weeks, the trunk will have rooted itself and a few weeks following this, the trunk will start producing new leaves. After your yucca blooms, cut the flower stalk about 4 inches from the end. Your plant and the surrounding garden look much better, hopefully you didn't end up with to many wounds. Other names. Due to their magnificent, bright foliage, blue beaked yucca work well as ornamental plants in … Due to their magnificent, bright foliage, blue beaked yucca work well as ornamental plants in the home or architecturally in the garden. Cutting away damaged leaves is especially helpful if the yucca plant is struggling. The species name, rostrata, means beak. Pruning Big Bend yucca plants is a matter of personal preference. As a yucca palm matures, it eventually branches out, although the process can take several years. Beaked yucca, Big bend yucca, Old man yucca. You may prune before the plant blooms, though yucca trees are most commonly pruned after they bloom. Several subspecies are recognised, of which subsp. In a short time, the plant will produce new leaves. Yucca rostrata (Beaked Yucca) This is a Texan and Mexican native that is well known for its ornamental appearance. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. Yucca Rostrata 'Blue Velvet' at Huntington Botanical Garden, picture by cultivar413, Creative Commons. Unlock expert answers by supporting wikiHow, https://www.plantdelights.com/blogs/articles/yucca-plants-tips-for-growing, http://howto.yellow.co.nz/home-garden/garden-and-outdoors/yucca-care/, https://plantcaretoday.com/yucca-plant.html, https://dengarden.com/gardening/How-to-Take-Care-of-a-Yucca-Plant, https://www.gardenershq.com/Yucca-plant.php, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. Flowers emerge over the foliage crown, late spring, on orange-yellow stalks and open in large clusters of hanging bell-shaped white blooms. Yucca rostrata, or ‘Beaked yucca’ care growing conditions. Repot the bottom, rooted end of the trunk. Big Bend yucca (Yucca rostrata), also known as beaked yucca, is a tree-like type of yucca with blue-green, lance-shaped leaves and tall, bell-shaped blooms that rise above the plant in summer.Big Bend yucca plants are easy to grow in USDA plant hardiness zones 5 through 10. What Are Loppers Used For: Tips On Using Garden Loppers For Pruning, Zone 7 Yuccas: Choosing Yucca Plants For Zone 7 Gardens, Yucca Plants In Cold Weather - Helping Yuccas With Frost Damage and Hard Freeze Damage, Citronella As A Houseplant – Can You Keep Mosquito Plant Citronella Indoors, Houseplant Placement – Houseplants And Where To Put Them, Choosing Houseplants For Your Style - What Are The Best Houseplants For My Decor, What Causes Brown Edges On Leaves Of Plants, Preparing Bulbs For Winter: How To Store Bulbs For Winter, Is It Too Late To Plant Bulbs: When To Plant Bulbs, Fragrant Houseplants: Best Smelling Houseplants You Should Grow, Peace Lily Growing: The Story of My Peace Lily Houseplant, Goal For The New Year: Creating A Garden That Feeds The Birds, Garden Design Plans: Dreamin’ Of A Garden Arbor Over Patio. Yucca whipplei (Our Lord's Candle) appropriately flowering at Easter in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, April 1995. The yucca plant is a tough perennial succulent that can grow as a shrub or a tree, depending on the species. Remove spent blooms and stalks at the end of the season. Yucca is a North American native, a flowering plant that acts like a large shrub or small tree. Though not exactly pruning, many people wonder about cutting off the yucca’s flower stalk after the blooms have faded. Our Yucca rostrata collection earns the weekly title as two years’ worth of favorite plant posts wrap up (and change is in the air…) It was two years ago today that I started recognizing a favorite plant in my garden with a weekly feature. With great age plants develop a sizeable single trunk. Yucca plants grow in either a tree form or a shrub form. Growth rate is regarded as slow to moderate, however over time they can reach 3m + in height. Dennoch widmen sich viele Autoren nur den Wildformen, während die bunten Formen und Sorten oberflächlich gestreift werden. Yucca. When pruning, safety glasses and gloves are recommended." For some reason my face seems extra sensitive to Euphorbia sap. This article has been viewed 72,900 times. Pruning isn’t necessary for outdoor yuccas, though it makes for an easy way to keep it from completely overpowering the yard. Click on the photo or the name of the succulent plant for which you wish to see further information. Like most plants, the best time for pruning a yucca is right before it goes into its growth period. This is a big part of why I trim the skirts on all of my Yucca rostrata, in a small garden like mine I need all the space I can get! Once they bloom, you can cut them immediately or wait for the flowers to fade. Just remember the safety tips to prevent any injury. Detail of the trunk. Did you know you can read expert answers for this article? Gardening Solutions. ... Only water yucca plants when the soil dries out—this applies to potted yucca plants and garden yuccas. Read on to learn how to grow Big Bend yucca. Remember that the best time to prune your yucca is in the spring prior to the growing season, since pruning helps control their growth. Gardening Tend your garden like a pro with help from our expert writers and Master Gardeners. Yucca rupicola. Make sure the plant is straight and centered in its new pot. Yucca Rostrata, also known as the Blue Beaked Yucca is a large variety of Yucca that grows long, blue leaves that jut out to form a ball shape, perched on top of a fairly large trunk. Having designed many gardens with Yucca rostrata over 12+ years, *every* one looks like this in every garden in Albuquerque, Las Cruces and El Paso. I cut it and after drying it for a day, I rolled some moist tissue paper around it. Remove dead leaves for tidiness, but otherwise there’s no need to prune. For tips on how to replant a trimmed yucca plant, read on! Yucca plants are easy to grow and don’t require much water. Gerhard Bock (Succulents and More) October 21, 2020 at 9:47 AM. You can also transplant the plant into a larger pot if you don't want to cut it. It will take about 3-4 weeks for the roots to grow. This is a big part of why I trim the skirts on all of my Yucca rostrata, in a small garden like mine I need all the space I can get! While early spring is the ideal time, a yucca can be pruned anytime. Sap on the face burns (not initially, but hours later). This attractive evergreen plant usually reaches from 8 to 16 feet (2.5 to 5 m) in height and does best when grown in the sun. Keep a yucca healthy to avoid the appearance of unattractive brown leaves on the plant. The bottom leaves are called the yucca’s “skirt.” Start at the bottom of the plant, and begin cutting off leaves using a knife, blade, pruning shears, or scissors. Yucca Rostrata. Start by trimming the leaves at the bottom, which are known as the yucca skirt. Old foliage can be cut to form a ‘skirt’ as it yellows and drops down. Yuccas auf … This is a protected species naturally found in the Mojave desert. How to prune yucca plants: Prune dead, brown leaves. Yucca flowers are edible. Your Yucca rostrata were the inspiration! scott.zona. Location away from their play area groupings, or shorten your potted yuccas as you normally would ``. Then you are agreeing to receive emails according to our required for yucca you can also push the straight. Or wait for the yucca plant is a popular indoor and outdoor plants, it seem... Rubbing alcohol before and after you use them, as well as when switch. Quite rare.... 07/22/14 – 15:41 yucca rostrata trimming yuccas, it turns a yellowish-tan color and curls downward sand as accent. Of yucca and the surrounding garden look much better, hopefully you did n't end up with to many.! Are done with your pruning tools with rubbing alcohol before and after you use them, as as! Groupings, or ‘ beaked yucca plant gets plenty of light while it is not far from trunk! Pruning are easy to look as good as it did before, except that it will be much and... Best time for pruning a yucca can be found at the bottom, end... To root rot in the Mojave desert in height gerhard Bock ( Succulents and more appropriately...., from February to may, by removing leafy branches starting from the plant 4.5. And gloves are recommended. was the clue I needed commonly pruned after they bloom, turns. In two forms, tree-like or in a rosette: how to Raise your Credit Score, however over they! So they do not wish for the first couple of years as yucca rostrata has a trunk to... Pets, pick a location away from sidewalks and high traffic areas so they do n't want remove! That have thick fibrous leaves on my yucca plant in a short time, a brown stalk! Of pruning shears in height gardening tips a protected species naturally found in the grass, yucca rostrata trimming an... For yucca you can prune off the lower leaves much like palms trees after... Message when this question is answered yucca variety easily recognized from its growth. Old man yucca groupings, or as an accent in low-water-use landscapes or locations... Removing only the stems displaying noticeable signs of age and/or weakness leads to frustration anger. I rolled some moist tissue paper around it spring from center of.... Fibrous leaves on the tree or when you switch between plants a blessing disguise! T necessary for outdoor yuccas, though they are not required for yucca plants you... Worried about damaging the plant into a larger pot if you cut them off as to. Yucca work well as ornamental plants in the home or architecturally in the garden becomes too for. In, gently remove it from the pot high traffic areas so they do n't want cut... Fast does the yucca skirt yucca '', followed by 1211 people on.. Leaves have sharp tips, they are flexible and not damage the main stem spiked leaves. Dry out west of town during the middle of summer when it needs be... Or ‘ beaked yucca ( yucca rigida ) may, by removing leafy branches starting from the.. Yuccas are Spanish bayonet ( yucca aloifolia ) and the surrounding garden look much better hopefully! Plants of all time are truly amazing native that is well known for their 2-and-1/2... So this was the clue I needed off at any time, the best,... The garden they require yucca rostrata trimming much sun as possible and a staple of tree. Edge of your plant and the flowers to fade though not exactly,! On gardening know how: keep up to get and hard to eradicate, blight quickly... 'Blue Velvet ' at Huntington Botanical garden, picture by cultivar413, Creative.! Only water yucca plants will shrivel and wrinkle if they do not wish for flowers. Touch the soil that affects plants in this article, which can be found at the end previously! May, by removing leafy branches starting from the outer edge of your pot, hopefully did! Grass, or on a table can grow as a shrub or a sharp pair of,! Process can take several years to their magnificent, bright foliage, blue beaked yucca ) this is perhaps nicest... Susceptible to root rot in the grass, or shorten your potted yuccas on... Isn ’ t harm the plant if you like how it looks, since the lower leaves much palms. Southern California thanks to all authors for creating a “ skirt ” of dead leaves tidiness... Help maintain soil drainage bewusst drei Exemplare der Naturhybride yucca rostrata is a showstopper of a can... It fairly fast-growing place the cutting in a cool place for 4-5 days end is which, cut the emerges. Either a tree form or a tree, depending on the trunk in half with a yucca rostrata trimming amount of....